First Person Narrative on Friendship | Teen Ink

First Person Narrative on Friendship

By Jahbari BRONZE, New York, New York
Jahbari BRONZE, New York, New York

New York is the place to be. It is a place where my friends and I like to joke around a lot. In a big city like New York it’s good to have many friends that can make you laugh. There are a lot of things to do in New York like go to parks such as Washington Square Park or even Union Square on 14th Street. Union Square is the place where we watch skateboarders wipe out or attempt to land a trick. Watching people get frustrated is hilarious.

It is especially funny to watch your friends get frustrated over little things like a prank or joke. However, in the end we all still remain good friends. For example this parable shows how good friends will always have your back no matter what. A young man falls into a deep hole and cannot get out. He asks a doctor that walks by if he could help him. The doctor writes a prescription for him and throws it in the hole. The next person that passes by the hole is a priest. The man asks him for help. The priest writes down a prayer on a piece of paper, throws it in the hole, and keeps walking. Finally, the man sees a friend pass by and shouts, “Hey Joe I’ve fallen in this hole. Can you help me out?” Joe, his friend, immediately jumps into the hole and says, “I’ve been here before. I know the way. Joe knows the way out because he was in a similar predicament before. This similar problem gives Joe the opportunity to help his friend.

In New York there are different types of cliques which include hipsters and preps. Luckily, I tend to have different types of friends. Some of the people I hang out with are older than I, like to dress in the latest clothes, or are good at academics. My friends and I even though we have different interests all have something in common. For example we all like to chill out and go to parks in New York such as Washington Square Park, Union Square, Madison Square Park, and Central Park. Going to these different parks is something my friends and I have in common.

While at a Sweet 16 birthday party for one of my childhood friends, I chat with Alessandra the lady of the hour who says, “It’s good to see you all. It’s been a very long time since we have all been in the same room together.”

I approached her afterwards and said, “I’m glad that you invited me to your party. I haven’t seen you in a long time. I haven’t seen you since our graduation.”

“It’s no problem. I mean I wanted to invite you,” said Alessandra.

“So how’s life?” asked Alessandra.

I said, “It’s good. Everything is positive and the way it should be.”

“Well, I’m glad to hear that,” said Alessandra. As the conversation went on I caught up on old news and new things.

In New York City the friends I have now as well as childhood friends at Sweet 16 parties show how friendship can last a very long time. The man in the hole parable, for example, shows how friends can help you out and have your back when you face similar situations to what they have faced. This parable gives a great lesson in friendship and life. Friendship is all about being able to watch out for each other while also watching each other mature and grow in the process. In a city like New York that is fast paced it is important to have good friends. Whether you are in New York or any other place in the world, friendship never seems to change that much which is the beauty of it all.

I wrote it for my Junior A.P. English class.

Frostfur BRONZE, Farmington, New Mexico
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

You can tune a violin but you can't tuna fish!

I have never been to new york but you just gave me a better idea of what it's like there!