Immaturity of a child | Teen Ink

Immaturity of a child

In the winter of 2008, a dark cloud descended upon the United States, casting a long and
chilling shadow over countless families, mine included. They called it the financial recession, a term that would forever be etched in our memories. It was a time when ordinary people like us found themselves caught in the unforgiving grip of economic turmoil. Our family was much like any other, striving to make ends meet in a world that suddenly seemed uncertain.. We weren't wealthy by any means, but we had enough to live comfortably and dream of a brighter future. Then, the recession struck like a relentless storm, washing away the stability we had known. I vividly recall from the past one fateful evening when I overheard my parents huddled in the dimly lit living room, their faces etched with deep concern. Their voices trembled as they spoke of mounting bills and dwindling resources. My father's work as a taxi driver in New York
slowed to a crawl, while my mother faced the daunting challenge of finding a job amidst the economic chaos.As Christmas drew near, the world outside our frosty windows mirrored the cold uncertainty within our home. Snowflakes gently descended from the heavens, blanketing the world in a serene, hushed stillness. It was on this snowy Christmas day that we gathered around the kitchen table, a symbol of the enduring love that bound our family together.
I said to my mother
“ Hey mama why can't I be like the other kids and get toys and live my childhood” while having
tears in my eyes falling down my face.
My mom responded in a worried tone “love of course you
0

can be a kid but things are a little challenging
right now we are trying”. My father day drastically
jumped into the conversation stating “
You are mature and you know what
we are going through”. After my father stated that he and my mom left the kitchen table and went to the room to clear up their tears. It was hard to see my parents, who were always strong, feeling so scared. They sat together, going through bills and trying to figure out where they could save money. We stopped going on our yearly family vacations, and instead, we stayed home for holidays. The recession didn't just go away after a few months. It stayed around for years. It affected not just us but our neighbors and friends too. Our community, which used to be lively and thriving, started to struggle. Even when things got a little better, my parents' income never fully went back to what it was before the recession. We had to learn to be smart with our money, cut out things we didn't really need, and rethink what was most important. Once upon a time, in a cozy living room on a sunny Saturday morning, I as a 7-year-old child sat with my family, engrossed in the colorful world of cartoons on the television. Little did they know that this day would become a defining moment in their early life. As me and my family enjoyed the morning together, a commercial suddenly burst onto the TV screen, capturing my attention. It showcased a brand-new LEGO set, complete with intricate details and exciting possibilities. Being a young child, it was as if a piece of their dreams had materialized right before their eyes. With wide-eyed wonder,I turned to my parents, and their faces a mixture of awe and longing. Their awe made me sad as my parents left . I went to my dad and mom crying stating
“ Mama papa you are number one I love you “.
My parents said “ awww arshu you are our jaan “.
1

2
Them saying that to me made me feel as if i had butterflies in my stomach. I laughed and ran to my parents to hug them . I remember the soft feel of my carpet in my living room. It felt as if I was walking on clouds. My parents stated that
“ we wish you and your siblings all the
best in the future “ with their faces filled with joy and a smile.
All of these years have passed but you may wonder why this instance from when I was 7 or 8 still inspires me as I am about to embark on another chapter in my life. My parents are the definition of those street lights that stay on for safety. I've seen them get up when the birds are chirping outside our window and work until the crickets fall to sleep. When I began high school my parents sat me down and told me to listen to love .
“ Challenges and obstacles will be hard to
overcome but giving up should never be an option” .
As my 9th grader self i thought in my mind that i would never face challenges as i am able to overcome things with my will power and motivation. However, now in my senior year of high school that I reflect back on what my parents stated, I have realized life throws many obstacles. I realize that I have jumped in and out of each challenge as a dog running through hula hoops. As I reflect back to my experience I now realize that I went past those voices in my head. I remember thinking in my head just
“give up failing a exam shows your
route toward failure give up”.
But having the determination and motivation to support my parents I knew I had to keep my head high. On the day of my examination I felt as if an angel was coming into my soul giving me

determination. I knew that failure was not an option, and I had come too far to give up. As the ink of my pen flowed onto the exam paper, she realized that sometimes, the greatest lessons in life are learned not from success . My parents have constantly pushed me to my limits as a senior. Now I continue to reflect back and continue to push myself. It becomes challenging being able to work and manage school and extracurriculars. However, as expenses and technology begin to progress in our world this is affecting those you are financially living paycheck to paycheck. My family is currently adapting to the circumstances of living in New york. Living in New York paying mortgages and utilities and having to purchase life necessities to survive has caught us people in a game. On a sunday morning my family and I were having breakfast, however it was during a stormy day. Both of my parents couldn't go to work because of the weather conditions. As we were eating food we brought up the fact how we would be able to manage expenses and utilities. Our conversation went like this
“Hey mama how will things go “
“Love we are working very hard to compete
with the money standards of america “.
“New york is very hard to afford with mortgages”
“However as we all are working together
We won't give up and become successful.”
This conversation had motivated me to work harder for my parents.
I responded back to mom and dad saying
“Mom,Dad , I want you to know about your dedication to
providing for our family” .
“I see how hard we all are working together to meet our financial goals.
3

This gives me gratitude and determination”.
“ I promise to work hard not just for my future but for both of you guys. When we work together we can fight together and get through our obstacles”.