Silver | Teen Ink

Silver

By haileepaaske BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin
haileepaaske BRONZE, Hartland, Wisconsin

I never thought I was a silver person. I always wear gold. Gold rings, gold necklaces, gold earrings. Until one day when I was at my Nana’s house she told me, “Hailee, I have something for you.” Excitedly, my heart rate started going up. Am I getting a present? I had always liked presents, especially from my Nana. She motioned me to her room at the end of the long hallway. 

As I walk into her room, she is standing in front of a tall mirror. I had always wondered about this mirror because it wasn't like any other mirror. It was big and thick and different from normal. She starts to touch around the mirror and suddenly it opens like a door. I scoot a little closer to see what is happening and that is when I see it. Inside this mirror that opens up is every piece of jewelry you could ever imagine. From big silver hoops to red ruby earrings to old diamond rings and long silver necklaces. Everything was in here. I was in complete awe. I had never seen this much jewelry in my life. I get right in front and reach my hands out and start touching everything. My nana, just watching me admire everything. 

My Nana then reaches a hook and takes off this silver pandora bracelet. I had seen her wear this bracelet before. Every single time I saw her, she was wearing this bracelet. There was no space left on it. No room for any more charms. She puts the bracelet in my hands and says, “It's yours, I want you to have it.” I had no response. There was no way that she was giving me the responsibility of keeping this bracelet. “There is no other person I would rather have this. And with this I will always be close to you.” 

She starts going through all the charms and sharing how each one has meaning. The frog charm —about how growing up with her brother on a farm, her brother stuck a frog down her pants. The birth charms — for all 4 of her kids and grandchildren, she has their birth stone. The soccer ball charm — her favorite sport growing up. All these memories on one chain. So much responsibility, so much time, so much love, and now it's all mine to cherish.

This piece is about my wonderful grandma, her belongings, and how she will live with me forever.