Creative non fiction | Teen Ink

Creative non fiction

March 7, 2023
By Anonymous

Spending time with my grandparents has always been an important part of my life. Since being a youngster I knew the knowledge they could give me was unlike any other. I always asked a lot of questions as a kid, to the point where my parents would make fun of me for it, yet my grandparents loved my curiosity. Their illumination of their own childhoods as well as my parents always amused me. Being 18 now I’ve heard most of the stories 3 or 4 times, though I’ll never stop my grandpa from sharing them. The more I hear those stories, the funnier they get. 

 My grandpa, Ado came over with his parents when he was 4 from Collodi, Italy (where Pinocchio is from) there is a photo of him coming over on the boat. Loaf of bread in hand, he was smiling as wide as the sea. My grandma, Gigi, is about 5’3 and under 100 pounds but she is the strongest person I know. Having multiple types of cancer, and beating them all, she is a role model for girls and women. She was an alderwoman for 20 years in the 19th ward (Beverly) She has never been one to complain or get mad, she is compassionate and caring. Ado and my dad are similar. Ado was a teacher and went to law school at night when my dad was a kid. They valued church, my grandma used to go every day of the week. I’ve always asked about their upbringings, I felt like knowing my family's history was important. I took pride in our name. 

During my summers we would often go up to our grandparents lake house in Long Beach, Indiana. Burning s’mores on the back deck was a tribute that summer had begun. Once everybody finished crafting the delicious desserts, my grandpa would start telling stories. The common theme in the stories was my dad in his youth getting in trouble, as kids, we loved them. My grandma would laugh in the middle of his account, her Virginia Slim cigarette filling the night air. Sometimes the s’mores weren’t enough, and outcame a carton of Mackinac Island Fudge. My Grandparents favorite ice cream. These long nights are forever engraved in my memory. There is no place I’d rather be than sitting around that campfire on a summer night with my Grandparents. 

 I had the opportunity to start as a freshman on varsity for football here at Ignatius. My brother who was two years older than me was also a starter. My grandparents never missed a game in my high school career. My typical routine after games was running over and giving them a hug. Through rain, snow, and the bitter cold, I always got my postgame hug. The greatest moment came after beating Mount Carmel my junior year. The game was an astonishing upset and had a deeper meaning for me because it was my father's Alma Mater and I grew up going to MC games. To see tears of joy in my Grandparents eyes, their hugs that game meant even more.

We learn from those around us. I believe being around my Grandparents I have learned more than I ever thought possible. I’ll forever be grateful for the wisdom they passed down to me. Their ability to be second parents to me, to teach me how to be a hardworking individual. I know how I want to carry on their legacy. I’m thankful they taught me how to never settle for anything, and always strive for the best. Family over everything. 


The author's comments:

My grandparents are the light of my life.