A tuxedo with fur | Teen Ink

A tuxedo with fur

February 2, 2023
By EvaSmith6 SILVER, Louisville, Kentucky
EvaSmith6 SILVER, Louisville, Kentucky
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

              We took him home from “The Purrfect Cat Café” in a nice cage, about triple the size of him. The fur coat on this little guy puffed up as he lies down on the soft blanket and towel draped in the cage. His soft voice whispered like an angel, a meow as sweet as candy, after every little bump on the road. Eventually, the movement of the car rocked him to sleep. He was neatly curled up on the far-right corner of the cage, in Madelyn’s lap, purring loud enough that I could even hear him in the back seat. We bickered the entire ride home like feral cats, trying to decide what to name him. Consistently looking at the cat while drowning in happiness, then talking over each other to give name suggestions that would best fit this long-whiskered, black and white tuxedo cat. I gathered a list of cute names we came up with, and when we got home, presented them to dad. “Hamilton, Oreo, Pasta, Oliver, Boots.” I listed. Dad gave us his top three in order, “Pasta, Oliver, Hamilton”. We all really liked Oliver but wanted to sometimes give him the nickname, Ollie. Our little 3-month-old fur ball came in to see what we were all discussing about. As his little legs got closer, he meowed to announce he was in the same area as us. Our faces, in sync, lit up in awe of his cuteness, almost like we were amazed that cat’s meow as a form of communication. Later that night, we got to play with him, hold him, and welcome him to his new family. I was grinning ear-to-ear, the kind that makes your face sore for a bit. After playing for a little while, we cuddled with his soft and fluffy blanket of fur, his little beans on the bottoms of his feet, and his body vibrating as he purrs the night away. Then, because his little brain is as scattered as unorganized files, he wanted to play again. Later, he claimed his favorite blanket and spread out like butter on toast, so he could rest again. In less than a minute he was dead-asleep. You could hear a pin drop in our silence, as we were allured by his cuteness. Unfortunately, we had to slowly make our way upstairs to go to sleep. And, our eyes were peeled like bananas, focusing on the newest little member of our family, until the wall interrupted our awe, forcing us to leave Oliver, and go to sleep ourselves.