Essay Contest - Teens make a difference! | Teen Ink

Essay Contest - Teens make a difference!

October 31, 2022
By AngelZhang GOLD, Lisbon, Other
AngelZhang GOLD, Lisbon, Other
14 articles 28 photos 4 comments

Favorite Quote:
"If you chase perfection, you can achieve excellence."


A girl wants change. Her school is nowhere near perfect – school lunch that nobody likes, not enough time between classes, and much more. She thinks that nobody is initiating any of the numerous possible changes. Every change starts small, but requires a leader…so that girl decides to run for student council president and begin with small changes in her middle school…

She spends countless days after school preparing for her speech, writing, revising, and editing furiously to ensure that her speech is flawless. Doubts about this election and whether she will win skitter through her mind now and then, but she brushes them away, convincing herself to focus and do her best. After all, change is not effortless, and she needs to work hard to bring about change and persuade people that she is the most qualified to do so. The day arrives for her to deliver a 2-minute speech that will assure people of her abilities. She expects it to be difficult, delivering her speech masterfully in front of two hundred people, but she takes a deep breath and reminds herself of the hours she spent practicing. Pretend you are at home, and no one is watching you. One foot in front of the other, one step at a time, she walks on stage, desperately trying to calm her nerves. Her words come out as naturally as her breathing, sometimes greeted by laughter or cheering.

Later that day, the girl walks out of her English class to the sound of clapping and whistling... they are applauding the president of the student council. As the significance of the moment dawns on her, she begins to smile. She is the president of the student council and the responsibility of making the school a better place is now on her and her team. She can and will make a difference. That girl is me, and I am determined to make a difference, beginning with my middle school. Perhaps one day I will make a difference in the world. Who knows? Then again, every change starts small.