Taking The Risk | Teen Ink

Taking The Risk

By lillylo BRONZE, Sacramento, California
lillylo BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"Fear kills more dreams than failure ever will" - Suzy Kassem

When I was maybe around 12 years old. I was walking home from a basketball  game night with some teammates who also played with me. It wasn't much of a good walk since I can hear them bad mouthing me from behind. Friend 1 says, “ You should quit ya know, you’re not even that good.” Not that I didn’t know I was already a bad player compared to the rest of the team, but I replied with “ Let’s not forget who begged me to join. I shouldn’t be hearing any complaints from you.” With a few minutes more of them still bad mouthing me I excused myself from them taking another path way home thinking, “ What annoying little Sh*ts.” 

Stepping into the doorway my Mother asked, “ Where were you? Don’t you know you have work waiting for you?” Right as she said that, she hit me with lists that I had to do around.

“It’s almost like I'm the only one around here.” I said.

Almost immediately she said, “It’s what runs in the family, you are the oldest.” 

I rolled my eyes as I walked away from her fuming with anger.

I remembered that night I was arguing on and off with my family and as soon as I got into a room I got a call from my significant other talking about some nonsense about me lying at a game. “ You were at the game now were you? If you didn’t want to hang out with me you could’ve said that instead of lying you know.” He said.

“ Are you stupid? Don’t be jumping to conclusions when you weren’t there to watch because you were too quote on quote ‘Busy’ so, I don’t know what you’re talking about. “ I said. 

“That’s not what your friends said.” He snapped back.

With him continuing his yapping I snapped. 

“ Let’s break up. I’m done with you. If you’re going to be like that then you’re not worth my time.” I said yelling at him ending the call. 

I layed on my bed thinking of how whatever is happening in my life is beginning to look really trashy. Something like that. So then I thought to myself “ Should I or should I not?” coming with all those thoughts and hesitation, I said “ F*ck it.” And with that I deleted everything off my phone knowing the consequences. 

So then I was just there now on the floor with music around me. I was pretty miserable but I told myself “I can do it because there is no need for some people to always put me down for some down reasons.”

Then  from that night I stayed up doing the work that they told me not to worry about. 

As a year or two passed I became better, I ignored everyone at school and home, but I was entirely better aside from that though, well not entirely better because I was still behind on school work, but I still had it. Even after I left I still wanted to talk with my friends just because I missed those memories that we had. So I re-downloaded those socials and began the phone calls, and to my surprise they actually picked up. Now I honestly didn’t expect them to be so calm.

“ Hey, how have you been?” She said 

“I’m doing better than ever.” I said 

“ So what made you come back?” She laughed then continued “ I honestly thought you were dead gone.”

I laughed as well, “ You’re so funny.” 

She stopped laughing and said “ Who said it was a joke?” 

I stopped laughing. “ What?” I said with nervous laughter.

“ Yeah, you heard me. I know why you called but no. We don’t want you back. Go back to doing what you wanted to do. Be gone.” She said harsley.

Me being stunned, I said, “ Okay.” 

With that I ended the call.

I said to myself, “ Why am I even surprised?” 

I took a few more days thinking about whatever just happened and see if I should re-try it again, but I just said no, because honestly just hearing the tone of how she said it, she actually meant it, she didn’t want me. Not that I cared, but I have pretty much learned that taking the risk of distancing myself from my friends or my family was not a good idea, but knowing that they’re pretty bad for me was what made it worth it. Would I do it again? Yes, definitely, I don't need much distractions or people putting me down for trying new things and trying to make myself successful. 

My personal experiences have inspired me to write this piece because to me I think it's just an experience that I should share. My piece is to let the readers know that it's  sometimes  good to take a risk if you're willing to let go of the importance in your life and make a new importance.