Karma's a bitch | Teen Ink

Karma's a bitch

By SecondHades BRONZE, Sacramento, California
SecondHades BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

So I f***ed up... a lot. So I’ll preface this with I play a lot of Xbox, I’m what people consider a no life. So while I was playing a game called Overwatch, I was just playing some ranked/competitive and I got a message. 

The message read, “Hey, I own a gaming team for Overwatch and I saw you in ranked and was wondering if you’d be interested in trying out for my team?” 

I laughed and responded saying “Nah that sounds lame I’ll pass”.

I then went to sleep and woke up to 17 messages practically begging me to join the team and I started to realize that they were very desperate and I told him that I would give it a try but not to expect much. So the next day I went to the “tryout” and I made it very easily because, like I said they were very desperate. As well as being desperate they were apparently the worst team in that league so not many people were really trying to get on that team. So I play with the team a bit and around a week later they ended up telling me my rank was too high for that tier so I ended up getting kicked. 

Now having to go search for a new team because I thought it was kind of interesting after getting to play a little bit. So I met someone named Fallen, and yes that is his real name. I ended up being invited by Fallen for a tryout and it was a bit rough. Though it was rough I talked to fallen and he said that I did amazing and I would do just fine. All of the time I was playing for Fallen, though I was trying to find a position in the best team in the league but I was too nervous. After a while I received a bit of attention from other teams and got a message from Fallen that was very random. Our conversation went a little like this… 

“Hey Chris I’m sorry but the team decided that maybe you should step down” Fallen said kinda nervously. 

I confusingly responded “What are you talking about?”

So Fallen simply said “We want to kick you from the team because you have been getting too much attention.”

Now I was really confused and when I asked what he meant by too much attention he just ignored me. So now I’m questioning myself and thinking maybe I need to quit league because it was my fault, but I tried for a team… again.

So now I joined a team led by someone named Brian and he was super cool until, I got kicked again for someone they wanted to replace me with. My tryout was originally really good but then I took a break since I went camping. Once I returned from my camping trip Brian ended up messaging me to invite me back and wanted me to join the team again. Originally I rejected his invitation out of fear they’d do it again but now I am a lead player and I ended up joining again. 

I asked Brian why he wanted me to join again and he said he just thought I was really good. But I didn’t believe that, so I asked the Co-Captain which is my good friend and he told me it was actually because I was getting scouted by a semi-pro and he wanted to pick me up before anyone else did. Though I could have been on a lot of better teams I am still with Brian and I’m still improving so I’ll see where this goes.

I found all of these events to be very confusing but now that I think about it all of just seems very funny to me. Everytime I bring this up as a joke to people on my team they try to brush it off and ignore it so I might try and find take up an offer from some better teams soon.