Parental Guidance | Teen Ink

Parental Guidance

By bdgraham SILVER, Lake St. Louis, Missouri
bdgraham SILVER, Lake St. Louis, Missouri

I don’t want to think about what will happen in the next 40 to 50 years, but sometimes you just need to. In the next 50 years I will not only be 67 years old and married with kids, but my kids will have had kids. We would have gone through about six presidents, and I will have severe back and knee problems. Another thing that will happen within the next five decades, is my parents dying.

My mom gave birth to me. She held me in her womb for nine months. She fed me, bathed me, clothed me, and loved me. She endures that I know that I’m loved and keeps me on the right track. My dad was always there for me with unconditional support and love. For as long as I can remember, he always pushed me to do my best and encouraged me to be the best I can be. It’s okay if I’m not the best, as long as I’m trying my best.

At swim meets during the summer, as soon as I finished my race, I went to my dad. He would always tell me what I did good on, and what I could work on. Over the years, he began to work more and I got busier. His job scheduled him on days I had football games and competitions. He could never make it to anything anymore, but even though he could be there he still impacted me in a huge way. On top of his main job, he picked up a day job to bring in more money, and even donated his plasma for money. He still works so hard everyday and rarely has time to sleep. He always fixes our vehicles and appliances.

I rarely ever see my father anymore but he has given us everything. He has given up so much of his time, mind, sleep, and life in general to ensure that his kids can be happy. Even my mom, who may only work as a preschool teacher, has been super supportive and never lets me forget how loved I am. Although she has her teaching job, her real job has been feeding, bathing, dressing, and caring for four kids.

No matter what, I will always love my parents. They both have done so much for me and I could never repay them for everything they’ve done. They have both been there for me when I wasn’t feeling the best and they have both shared my wins with me. They encourage me in color guard and talk me out of doing stupid things. I know that I will never have other people in my life as important as my parents.