Sacramento, My Home | Teen Ink

Sacramento, My Home

By SecondHades BRONZE, Sacramento, California
SecondHades BRONZE, Sacramento, California

"Faith is taking the first step even when you don't see the whole staircase."
-Martin Luther King Jr.

My Sacramento is quiet and safe where very few people are in need. Where those that are in need just aren’t taking the opportunities before them. Most of the people in my Sacramento have nice 2 story houses of which are safe with bright new white picket fences in a nice caring neighborhood. There are nice parks and sights to see throughout my Sacramento.

Yes all of this does sound amazing but sadly most of this isn’t even true. Yes it’s true few people in need don’t take opportunities arising to them but there are tons of people in my neighborhood not getting even a little help. Some days I’ll drive down the street seeing upwards of 3-4 homeless people seeking help that they aren’t getting. There are sometimes where you can walk around feeling a sense of danger and not knowing if you’ll live to see another day, not knowing if you and your family members will get a chance to see eachother again. Waking up on cold nights to the sound of gunshots, another car alarm going off, or even police cruisers going down your street blaring their sirens.

I feel as if my community can improve in just about every way we need much more jobs, cheap and affordable apartments, improvement in how everyone treats each other here, and more ways to help the homeless (such as homeless shelters and funding for food for the homeless). I feel as if in community we need to work on stopping the violence and that’s not really something we can change so simply. That alone would take years and years to try to change and even then we wouldn’t be able to stop it merely slow it down. Even trying to slow this down we as a community wouldn’t be able to affect the violence because there is always gonna be gangs and people trying to avenge the death of someone they love. There’s crime just being ignored by the police and them doing nothing at all even discrimination of people of color on the daily.

In conclusion, My Sacramento can improve by a lot since there is so much going on that nobody at all is doing to try to stop it and make a change for once it’s all just complaining but people feel as if they don’t have the power to make a change though that’s not the case at all.

I really enjoyed writing this piece because I feel as if a lot of these topics are just going unnoticed and need to be said and nobody is doing anything about all of tese things going on in my area, My Sacramento.