Scent? | Teen Ink

Scent?

I was bored and waiting. I had time. I was sitting near a stand of books. So I picked up a thin paperback and began to read.

It was merely a collection of brief, unknown stories together, similar to an IBD book. But a single paragraph changed my view on the sense of smell forever.

“The sense of smell is an intangible sort of charm. It is invisible but makes one seem beautiful. It can be a fragrance that is common or completely original. It can overpower one's sensations but also leave a lingering aroma in the area. This ethereal beauty is a characteristic that could have power over anything. That scent has the power to give oneself confidence that they are amazing.”

I gave a presentation on my philosophy about confidence in language arts the next year. It included how I was always insecure and unhappy. When I cared about other people’s thoughts, I never had confidence.

What I didn’t include in that presentation was that I had been getting better at not caring. I didn’t mention that because of a single paragraph, I was actually going to be okay.

I love the scent of citrus. Simply not smelling anything in cold weather is soothing. The smell of ocean air, when I visit the beach, is marvelous. The scent of autumn spices is comforting. I know where to find these scents, whether it be from candles, perfume, or just nature. Every now and then, I begin to feel slightly unsure, wary of others. But this sense of smell is a gift that reminds me anyone can be beautiful. They can love themselves without any doubts. Including myself.