We Are Not Always as We Seem | Teen Ink

We Are Not Always as We Seem

December 25, 2018
By Anonymous

I wanted to start new, be the girl who loved helping others, the girl who made crafts out of anything she could, and yet the world still had other ideas. Flashback to high school, I was 15 when I was diagnosed with anorexia, it was sophomore year, the year where no one even knew I existed. Now don’t get me wrong I had friends but I had missed so much school that year that when I would go back for a week or two people would stare at me confused because they didn’t even remember who I was. In high school, I was always know as “the girl with blonde hair” or “the girl who sits behind me in math” I was never at either one of the two schools I went to long enough for anyone to remember me, I spent 2 years at one school and then transferred after spending the summer in a residential treatment center. I remember walking into that new school like it was yesterday, kids from middle school going “gabby what are you doing here” and teachers not knowing what to do with me, telling me to find a seat and they will catch me up later, I was scared and lost in this big new school. I made some great friends at that new school but I was still known as the girl with the eating disorder or the girl who spent most of her time in guidance crying. Dont get me wrong I loved that school but Everyone knew me as who I wasn’t. I always wanted to be known for my writing or my art, I would have even rather have been known as the girl who went to zoo camp. We can’t always have things our way but I thought when I went to college things would change, sadly that did not happen. I went into college with my hair freshly dyed and some new clothes, hoping to be seen as the girl with ought an eating disorder. Flash forward to the first day of college classes, my face still swollen from the allergic reaction I had the day before, yes my eyes were swollen shut less than 48 hours before classes began, I guess I was giving quite the impression, but not the one I wanted to give. I know a college campus isn’t a small place but I still didn’t want people in my classes to think I skipped class all the time but I couldn’t help it if I was sick. I had ended up missing more days of class than I hoped when I ended up  in the hospital due to an abscess on my tonsils, I missed two days of classes for that on top of the other days I missed for allergic reactions and the stomach bug, I was becoming known as the girl that skipped class. I was also known as the girl who left class a lot, I had doctors calling me to see how I was, I was in class one day when a nurse at my doctor's office called, I had to take that call so I left class. I hated leaving class so much I felt guilty even though I knew there was nothing I could do about being sick so much. My first semester of college ended up going pretty well, I made friends, studied a lot, and overall really liked it, I just wish things could have Gone a bit different. I went into college hoping to get a fresh new start but ended up just getting sick. I soon realized why I was getting sick so much, something to do with my immune system and thyroid, it was at that point when I was actually gratefull for getting sick. If I never ended up getting sick and missing class I never would have known that something was wrong, something I need to watch out for the rest of my life. I know it’s not too serious but if these things never happened I could have had something much worse happen. Yes bad things do happen and sometimes we end up being someone we don’t want to be but there are also things we can’t change so I want you to know just because someone isn’t in school a lot Dosent mean there skipping, just because someone cries a lot doesn't mean you should judge them, and most importantly take care of yourself and remember there are reasons for everything and you're not going to know what someone’s going through just by looking at them so before you judge remember that there may be a reason for what’s going on.


The author's comments:

Be nice to everyone you don’t know what has happened to them or what they are going through