Vice and Virtue Reflection | Teen Ink

Vice and Virtue Reflection

By michellehoward BRONZE, Slidell, Louisiana
michellehoward BRONZE, Slidell, Louisiana

For my vice, I chose the word clumsy because I feel it strongly describes part of my character. Clumsy can be described as being uncoordinated and graceless, but I believe clumsiness also involves a lack of awareness. This vice has affected me in a variety of ways; for example, I never seem to be able to find my balance. However, over time, I have been able to learn from my vice, and it has helped me develop a new aspect to my personality with being more attentive. I have become more aware of my surroundings, and I try to stay more focused and diligent with everyday actions. Despite the disadvantages to my vice, I believe any vice I struggle with can help me grow as a person.

For my virtue, I chose the word confident because I believe it is a characteristic that helps me in life every single day. I believe that a person can be confident in many ways, and confidence is about being self-assured and staying positive. With every big or small challenge that I face, I know that I will be able to work through it. I always maintain an optimistic attitude with things such as tests or exams because I am confident in my ability to do well. Confidence allows me to be accepting of who I am, and it allows me to acknowledge my strengths and weaknesses in all aspects of life.

While I wore my letter “C” around school, I felt that I had the chance to understand how Hester felt with her scarlet letter. Many of my fellow classmates asked me what the purpose of the letter was and what it stood for. After explaining its significance, I was able to better understand myself as well as Hester. Wearing the letter taught me how much people notice one another’s flaws, but they do not always consider one’s virtues.

Reflection piece about a vice and virtue that helps me develop my character.