Shore Lunch | Teen Ink

Shore Lunch

By sarahm16 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
sarahm16 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

We get the fishing poles ready and patiently wait for that first tug. Walleys sprout out of the water and splash down.

After hours of bringing the line in and out, we have enough for our shore lunch. We meet up with other family members and hear, “Ahoy there, matey!”

Jumping onto land and exploring what we could in the two hours we were there, my cousins and I found something worth showing our parents: pebbles with designs in them. Off in the distance, a smoky fire starts up. I think about the warm bread, yellow corn, buttery potatoes, canned Spaghettios, and the fish. It smells like a gourmet restaurant.

Just as the food was about to be served, unexpected rain pours. Families crowd under one tent with my mom saying, “This will be a story at Thanksgiving for sure.”

When the rain dies down, my cousins and I go over to the water. We find rocks as big as buildings. Skipping them, my cousins say to me, “You better keep up with us!” We make our way back and the food is ready.

Grabbing the plastic plates, I savored the buttery, salty foods Mom doesn’t cook at home. I sit on a wet log with my family. I take advantage of the moment and think about the memories made.