Living As Best As We Could | Teen Ink

Living As Best As We Could

By bemery13 SILVER, Manchester, New Hampshire
bemery13 SILVER, Manchester, New Hampshire

"We are all broken - that's how the light gets in." - Ernest Hemingway

“Did they live happily ever after? They did not. No one ever does, in spite of what the stories may say. They had their good days, as do you, and they had their bad days, and you know about those. They had their victories, as you do, and they had their defeats, and you know about those, too. There were times when they felt ashamed about themselves, knowing they had not done their best, and there were times when they knew they had stood where their God had meant them to stand. All I’m trying to say is that they lived as well as they could.”

Every time I read this quote, the more it hits home for me. I chose this quote because I can relate to it. I find it to be a sad quote but also one that is very deep and true to me. Most people look for the happy quotes to write about. I don’t because it’s easier for me to write about the stuff most people can’t talk about. This quote means a lot to me because of the message in it.

I’m the type of person to beat myself up over the dumb sh** people say. I have my bad days. Some are worse than others and I find myself in my bed staring at my ceiling at three in the morning overthinking everything. Most of my days are bad days and sometimes I don’t even know why. It just kind of happens. On my bad days, I feel ashamed of myself and I always feel like I failed everyone around me. My bad days usually get the best of me. I used to think everyone would grow up and live happily ever after like in the stories. At a young age I realized that wasn’t always the case.

Don’t get me wrong, I have my good days too. Not as much as I’d like but they still happen every once in awhile. I try to cherish those days and capture how I felt in that moment because I never know when I’m going to have another one. I live in constant fear that my life will continue to be how it is now. I found myself in the hole I was once in, yet again. Except this time I have no one to help me out of it. The last time I was here, I had someone help me out but they aren’t here right now and that kills me. I know I’m the only person that can help me and I’m the only one who can change how I’m living but it gets harder and harder everyday.

I love this quote because it says that they lived as well as they could. I know people have their own struggles, as do I. I just like to think I don’t have as many as I really do. I’d be lying if I said I didn’t. I like to think I’m living as well as I can even though it’s a constant struggle to even get up in the morning. My victories are surviving another day in this world. Most people find that ridiculous that I find that to be a victory to me but I’m sure if they stepped into my shoes, they’d say the same thing. People are so quick to judge others when they know nothing about them. They have their own story but people won’t even bother to read it. They just look at the cover and decide if they want to read it when they look at it.  

Everyone has their good days. I want them to cherish those days like I do. Everyone had their victories. I don’t want them to feel like they didn’t accomplish it like I do. Everyone had their bad days. I don’t want them to let them take over like I do. Everyone feels ashamed of themselves at one point or another. I don’t want that to be the only thing they feel, like I do. I want everyone to know that everyone is dealing with something and I want them to know they're not alone. That’s something I don’t do.  

People need to keep going on with their life even with their problems because they can get through it. People should have this quote in the back of their head because in the end, there’s still more victories we can accomplish. There’s more feelings we can feel. There will be more good days than there are bad ones. There will be that day where we won't have to wake up with a struggle. People need to keep going cause we are living as well as we can after all.