Unit 2 Short Story | Teen Ink

Unit 2 Short Story

My alarm wakes me up out of my sleep at exactly 8:20am. Me not being a morning person I listlessly roll out of my bed and head down my hall into my bathroom. I quickly take a shower and get myself dressed. Before I leave the bathroom I look into the mirror at myself; Tall about 6’1, nice light brown skin,and dark almost black, brown eyes. My outfit was perfect for today’s events. I had a white tank top on with blue swimming shorts on. It was Andrew's choice to spend the first day of summer at the beach. Andrew being my best friend since the 3rd grade always had a thing with trying to convince me to do things I don’t usually do; parties,going out on school nights to pointless clubs with terrible bands, and the worst of the worst. Going out on double dates. I wasn’t a boring guy, it’s just I like to keep with my studies and loved to constantly practice football whenever I could. A loud horn knocked my out of my thoughts, 10:39am is what my clock said. A typical Andrew, late. We were supposed to leave to the beach at 10:00 so that we could try to beat traffic but there was always something keeping Andrew. I raced to my front door but before I could open it my moms voice stopped me. “How long will you be out? I have work tonight Matt, can you pick up your sister from her friends?”
“I’ll be out most of the day mom, isn’t lily home? Can’t she go get her?”
“Lily is leaving at 1:00 for her camping trip with the Jameson’s, please just pick her up for me” I signed in irritation but nodded my head.
“I’ll pick her up later on, around 7”
Before my mom could answer me, I walked out of the house and walked to Andrews car “Took you long enough” andrew joked
“ dude you were 30 minutes late! I don’t think you should be speaking right now” I said laughing. He just shook his head and began to tell me why he was late. His “girlfriend” was the reason of course.
We arrived at the beach at 11:30am and we were able to get good street parking. Me and Andrew began to unpack his car.
“A mini fan ? Really ?” I said shaking my head
Shrugging Andrew answered “you never know, I could get really hot and need a fan”
“If you get really hot you could always just get into the water” an unknown person voiced behind us. We both turned and watch a girl with shoulder length jet black hair take out her beach chair and book.
“After all, you are at a beach” she said concluding her sentence.
Andrew, like me, was stunned by how the girl just began to talk to us.
“Yeah well the water is gross and dirty filled with tiny kids and old people, I’d rather have a fan” Andrew said defensively. She looked at him questionably and smirked.
“Why come to a beach if you’re going to keep out of the water?”
“Football and girls is what I came for”“Girls? You know those girls are swimming in the ‘gross and dirty’ water right ?” She said mocking Andrews words.
“Hey children, chill out will ya?” I said shaking my head. Andrew said a few words under his breath and turned back to the car. The girl smiled at me and turned towards her chair and picked it up so she could walk away. I picked up the football and blanket while Andrew picked up the food he made for us and his mini fan. We walked to a good part of the beach and set everything down. For the first 20 minutes we both tossed the football back and forth talking about school and stuff.
“I wonder what was up that girls butt budding into our conversation like that” Andrew said throwing the ball while speaking in disbelief.
“Mad ? That’s she used your words against you?” I said trying to act serious but ended up laughing in the end.
“No, just was dumb that’s all” he said trying to get the conversation over with.
As the day began to turn to evening I realized I didn’t tell Andrew that I had to pick my sister
up at 7. I looked down at my phone and seen it was almost 6:00. And I knew it would be traffic. Getting up from the blanket I looked around for Andrew. He was at the tent of a girl on the other side of the beach. I could see him laughing at what the girl said. Rule number 8 came flying into my head “ never interrupt when in the game” shaking my head I pulled my phone out of my pocket and called his phone.
“What? You’re interrupting something very important” he said irritated
“We need to leave, I have to be back home by 7:00”
“No way man, I’m so close to getting this girls number”
“I think me getting home to get my sister is a little more important. And you have a girlfriend” “Not anymore, I’m a single man! Please just get an Uber” he begged. I signed and hung up. I didn’t mind as much as I thought I would. Taking an Uber won’t be that bad. I walk to were Andrews car is parked so that I can wait next to it. When I reached his car I realize the girl from earlier was leaving too. She was sitting in her car on the phone. It looked like She was in a pretty headed conversation by all the hand motions she was doing. I leaned against Andrews car and began to make the Uber purchase.
“No friend this time?” She said getting out her car and leaning on it.
“Nope, a girls caught his attention”
Laughing she replied “ oh Jesus, I don’t even know him and I know he’s a handful”
“Oh yes he is a huge handful, almost like my very own child” I said grinning
“so you’re going to wait here for him to try and get her number ?”
“No, I have to get home, so I’m calling an Uber”
“Hope your house is about 10 minutes from here because if it’s any farther than that you will be spending a lot of money” she said gaining my full attention
“ is it really that bad of a cost?”
“Where do you live?”“West Covina”
“Woah”
“What ? How much will it be ? Super expensive?”
“Oh yeah a lot, but my reason of saying woah was because I live there too”
Ignoring the last part of her sentence I began to get a little antsy because of the Uber.
“I could always take you home” she said suggesting. I looked at her and then back to my phone. Should I trust her and go ? It’s already 6:05pm.
“Are you a serial killer” I asked with a smile
Smirking she answers “no”
“That’s what all serial killers say”
“Not me” she said. I shook my head.
“Okay, you can take me home.”
She smiled and walked to the passenger side
“After you miss” She said lightly laughing opening the door for me
“Thank you my kind sir” I said getting in.
I gave her my sisters friends address as we exited the freeway. The whole car ride consists of us switching back and forth from music and talking about each other. She was 18, like me, a senior at West Covina high and had 4 siblings. Arriving at my destination I got out of the car and went to the drivers side window.
“Thank you, you are a lifesaver” I said, “ how about I pay you back by taking you out to get coffee?”
She pretending to think really hard before answering, “free coffee ? And a free ride ?Of course!” Laughing I said “ okay cool ... wait the entire 20 minutes in the car I never got your name” “That is so embarrassing” she said laughing, “my name is Jessica” she said sticking out her hand. Taking it I shake it.
“I’m Matt”
“Well Matt,  call whenever you want to buy me coffee” she said “Well since I’m here now How about tomorrow ?”
“I’d have to check my schedule” she said seriously
“Oh okay”
“I’m totally kidding, we can go tomorrow” she said giggling
“Okay tomorrow it is then”
“Alright see you” she said waving as she drives away. I look down at my phone. 7:00 on the dot.

i am very lazy when it comes to waking up early.