working | Teen Ink

working

December 12, 2017
By TannerWilliams BRONZE, Sedan, Kansas
TannerWilliams BRONZE, Sedan, Kansas
1 article 0 photos 0 comments

Growing up in the generation of today's time, people are very soft hearted and don't like physical work. My dad has taught me how to work hard unlike some people. Ranching and working with cattle is something I truly admire. Whether it's actually working the cattle, feeding, or baling hay, I’ve always seemed to enjoy it somehow. My family has been in the cattle business for a couple of decades and all we have used is black Angus. The most head we have ever run was around 150. To do that much work and still pump oil wells every day was really hard work that acquired a lot of guts and determination. Back in the day, I remember on cold icy winter days riding around in the truck with grandpa with no heater going to each pond to chop up ice so the cows would have water to drink. It was very cold! Especially in that old beat up truck, but then we got a lot nicer feed truck with a actual hydra bed which was really nice! Although taking care of cattle is sometimes fun, it has its hard times as well. Like when it's time to put down a cow when she breaks her hove off, or a cow abandons its calf and we have to shove a tube down its throat to give it milk. Times like these aren't very fun but it is something that has to be done. It takes a man with a lot of heart to do this kind of work. This line of occupation also requires a lot of smarts and paperwork. Knowing what cows to buy and sell and comprehending which bulls will bread the best and which ones look the best and the most active is very important. You might ask why this is so important. Well, let's look at a example. Say you buy 20 cows per bull and say you're going to run 60 head. Well, that's all fine and dandy but you only have 49 acres of land. This might not sound like a problem but it kind of is. Why do you ask? Well, I’ll tell you why. Grazing room during the summer. You will not have enough grazing grass during the summer to last till winter when you can start feeding hay. Now like any other problem there is always a way around it. If you are to feed hay and cubes and what other nutrients you usually use year round with this many cattle and acreage you might be fine. But if I was you I would find more land. Learning this trade has made me the person I am today and I love it. I’m truly 100% when I say I would not trade it for anything in the world.