Days Not To Forget | Teen Ink

Days Not To Forget

By Hilda.peter567 BRONZE, Warren, Michigan
Hilda.peter567 BRONZE, Warren, Michigan

It was a sunny day in June, and I was 9 years old. My friends and their moms were coming to my house. I saw that my mom was getting out ingredients out on the counter and I asked “what are you making today?” and my mom said “I am making confetti cake.” I wanted to bake the cake on my own, but I didn’t know how. So I asked my mom if I could help her make a cake and she said “Ok. But first, wash your hands.” “Ok” I said.

While I was washing my hands I saw my mom turning on the oven to 350 degrees Fahrenheit. I was happy as a bee because I was going to bake a cake for the first time! While I was washing my hands, my mom needed to get one more ingredient, which was the sprinkles. I told my mom I wanted to get out the sprinkles. So then, she said “yes.” After I got out the sprinkles, my mom told me what to put first in the bowl which was flour. She told me how to measure flour and what to do with the extra flour if I added too much. After I added all the ingredients, my mom told me to mix the ingredients all together.

To me, it felt like a piece of cake. Until, the batter started to spill on the counter. I started to get mad but then my mom said “don’t worry about it because we can try again.” Then I started to calm down and then I wanted my mom to help me mix the bowl all together. After we mixed the batter, my mom got out the pan and we put the batter into the pan. Then after that was done, my mom said “we should put extra sprinkles on top, so it could look colorful.” I agreed! So we put extra sprinkles on top so it would be colorful on the inside.

I wanted to put the pan in the oven but my mom said “no.” because she didn’t want me to get burned. She put the pan in the oven and then we waited for 30 minutes for the cake to bake. When the cake was ready, we waited for another 30 minutes for the cake to cool down and then we took the cake out of the pan and we took out our frosting.

Our frosting was the in the color Hot Pink and that was my favorite color so we took our spatula and we made sure the cake was nice and leveled. After we were done leveling, my mom and I took the pink edible glitter, and we put it on the cake and we made diamond shapes.

Once we were done doing everything, we had to clean the dishes and put the cake in the fridge so it would be nice and cool once my friends would come.

An hour later my friends came and they tried the cake and they said it was really good. Then I said to myself, no matter how hard you try, you can do better than you did before.

I hope that everyone finds that you should never give up on something you want to do. I now always remember that on that day, I did not give up on what I did and now I think about that day because everytime I have to do someting that I want to give up on, i don't because it will come on better than I think it would be. So do not give up on something that you think is hard for you because you will be better than you think it might be.