At the Westsider Cafe | Teen Ink

At the Westsider Cafe

By FallenKen BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
FallenKen BRONZE, Grand Rapids, Michigan
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

"Being a hero doesn't mean being invincible. It just mean you're brave enough to stand up and do what is needed." -Piper Mclean

The strong smell of coffee and pancakes wafted through the air of the Westsider Cafe, gently teasing me. I sat in a booth shoveling down an omelet, my mind set on camp. I watched as my brother got up to go to the bathroom, when he was out of sight my eyes trailed back to the steam rising out of my cup, the steam seemed to be like a silhouetted dancer as it glided through the air. It was the most entertaining thing I’d seen all day. Nothing could be more boring than waiting to go to summer camp.

“You’re gonna have another sibling.” my mom said out of nowhere… maybe I was wrong, maybe this will be a little more exciting than I had thought.

Like every ordinary Sunday in summer I was just getting out of church… well ordinary is an overstatement. Today was not even close to ordinary. In about an hour or so I would be heading off to Sherman Lake YMCA camp for a week, just like every summer. I was staring out the window, staring at cars as they zoomed by, loud engines revving, and me bouncing full of energy. I couldn’t wait to see my cousins and meet all my cabin mates! But we stopped to get breakfast at the Westsider Cafe.

I got an omelet just like every other time I’ve been here. As we waited for our food my brother got up to go to the bathroom. I watched as he stumbled and disappeared behind the door. A silence filled the air. I was at a loss of what to say. About everything entertaining came from my brothers mouth. I wasn’t too much of a chatty Cathy because everything I do is ordinary. I sighed and started to drink some hot chocolate.

“You’re going to have another sibling.” my mom said out of nowhere, then took a sip of her coffee, the steam, spreading across her face. At first I thought that she was pulling my leg, but then I saw the serious look on hers and Josh’s faces. The problem was I always wanted another sibling, but then I’m finally gonna get one.

Soon after that we were off heading to camp where I was going to get to see my cousins and tell them the great news. I went and brought my duffle to my cabin in the upper village where leaves were covering almost every inch of the ground. It was very messy and nature like as usual. I quickly ran over to the lower village with my mom to where my cousins and brother were staying. I told my aunt and she immediately started jumping up and down, screaming and laughing. I went and told Katie, my older cousin, who wasn’t as enthusiastic as her mom, she gave me a congratulations and walked off, Colt my younger cousin smiled and replied with a “cool”. The last person left to tell was my cousin Rachel.

Her and I were practically twins, if we only had the same hair color, I knew she would be ecstatic. Then the dinner bell rang before I could get to her. I was just going to have to tell her during dinner. Luckily her table was right next to mine, we sat back to back and I started to whisper the news to her. My counselor immediately noticed this and told us to stop talking.

I suddenly realized how this was going to be a huge turning point in my life. I was going to be a big sister to another human, I was going to have new responsibilities, and the thought of that sent sudden burst of energy through me. January was only in a couple of months and I knew I would have to be ready and somewhere inside me I think I knew I was going to be just fine.

This was a very surpising moment for me.