March 8th 2008 | Teen Ink

March 8th 2008

By lizzylove78 BRONZE, Birdsboro, Pennsylvania
lizzylove78 BRONZE, Birdsboro, Pennsylvania

Life does get easier, it might not look like it but it does.

I was with my Aunt Jackie for the week, we went to the bay to watch the water and put our feet into the cool sand. We had our fishing poles all ready for fishing, I did not now it would be the last time I would actually be with her. I wasn’t catching anything at all. It was still a little chilly outside. So my Aunt told me let’s get ready to head back to the house and get ready to pack to go home tomorrow. I said “Let me cast out one more time please” she said okay Elizabeth. I casted out and was tightening my string, Eight minutes later something was pulling I pulled my rode back and started to reel in. Fifteen minutes later I had a three foot fifty pound catfish on my hook. We took it off the hook but before we threw it back in we took tons of photos. Photos I will never see again.  We head back to the house and I start getting ready for tomorrow morning to leave.

It is March 7th and I am on my way back home and I hated going home because I never knew when I would see my Aunt again. One hour later I am home I say my goodbyes and my mom is drunk at home like she always is. I just walk into my mom’s room, well it was actually both of ours. We are really poor. Some days I would go without eating or even showering, but someone else has it harder I say to myself. My Aunt Jackie calls around 8pm to say goodnight and I love you baby doll. She always called me baby doll.

March 8th 2008,
I wake up to my mother on the phone, all I hear is “okay I will let her know”.

Few minutes later my mother walks into our room and says Elizabeth I have to talk to you. I sit up and say okay mom what is it? All of a sudden she said the words I never wanted to hear, “Aunt Jackie passed away this morning in her sleep, her cancer spread and it wasn’t just Breast cancer it was also bone cancer” The tears start coming. I could not hold them back. It took me a week to just stop crying. I missed school I could not stand school anymore. It felt like I lost my mother. She was more of a mother then my mom was.

A week went buy and we went to go pick up her ashes. I could not cry anymore I have cried so much just nothing could come out.

Cancer is such a Big deal in my family and I would never ever want this for someone. Losing some one from cancer is the worse feeling in the world. All I have to say is if someone in your family is diagnosed with cancer be by there side every step of the way. You never know how much time you have left with them.

My Aunt passed away from cancer when I was just 10. It has been 8 years and Ive still been having a hard time getting over this. I knew she would want me to move on. She was just one of a kind.