The Story of Fear | Teen Ink

The Story of Fear

By klace SILVER, Lambertville, Michigan
klace SILVER, Lambertville, Michigan

“People ask me when I start one of these projects, what is your theme? I haven’t the faintest idea. That’s why you’re writing the book, it seems to me, to find out. To me, it’s a journey. It’s an adventure. It’s traveling in a country you’ve never been in and everything is going to be new, and because of that, vivid. And don’t make up your mind too soon. Let it be an experience.” —David McCullough

This is my story… the story of the girl named Kody. Seventeen years ago on November twenty fifth at 1:30 pm I was born 6 pounds and 3 full ounces. I have and older brother by three years and one day, his name is Kyle Calvin, his hair used to be blonde but the dirt from his job and years of aging has turned it a dark brown kind of like mine. We share the same bright blue eyes. To fully explain my story, you must first hear my brother.

When he was twelve my brother and I were walking to the barn when he decided he was going to jump up on the split rail fence and leap to the tree beside it. The only thing that went wrong was he missed the tree, landing on his arm breaking it in three places. After a while his arm began to heal, but it had healed wrong and the doctor said he had to re brake my brother’s arm. With zero pain medication and wide away my brother’s arm was snapped and moved around while he screamed for help. This trauma was the start of his problems, it sparked the panic attacks and soon he wasn’t able to leave my mother’s side without having a panic attack. He constantly relived that doctor breaking his arm and it was terrifying. He couldn’t go to school and when he did he was distracted, that was until his senior year of high school began. The high school principal called my mother up to the school for a meeting, a meeting at which he would tell my brother that he would never amount to anything and would never graduate from high school. From that point forward my brother had found the motivation to finish. Kyle not only graduated on time but now works two jobs and states that he is happier than that principal will ever be.

My problems didn’t start till later on; Jr. high was a horrible three years for me. I had to deal with bullying, losing all my friends, and having my best friend move away. That was when the stomach aches began… never did I imagine that it was my own personal panic attack one that strikes my stomach, making me feel nauseous, and even causes me to throw up. Well it only got worst from there on out. I decided to change schools and get away from all the drama of my previous school, never had I imagined that my stomach problems would force me out of school, the only place I felt terrifyingly sick. The panic would rise in my chest and I felt as if I was going to suffocate. The only solution was to become an online student.

A full year has passed sense I stopped going to school, I’m three semesters behind in all of my classes and I recently made the realization that it’s not over yet. Why have I stopped trying? In a month’s time I have taken out a full semester of school, I will catch up, I will graduate on time, and I will NOT let this fear control me any longer. I will be just like Kyle and over come my fear. No more shall I hide from what scares me the most, this time it should fear me.