Pantsed in a Basketball Game | Teen Ink

Pantsed in a Basketball Game

By Wyatt Burgess BRONZE, Park City, Utah
Wyatt Burgess BRONZE, Park City, Utah

“Oops!
... I did it again.
I played with your heart.
Got lost in the game.”
From “Oops!... I Did It Again” By Britney Spears

I checked the laundry, my basketball shorts were all wet in the the washer. The ones that were big on me were the only dry ones. I had no choice but to wear the big ones. As I was traveling to the game, I definitely regretted wearing the big shorts. My dad had bought me them for me so that when i grew a little, they would fit. He did that with most of my clothes when I was young. I pulled up to the basketball court in Charlottesville, Virginia (my hometown). As I was getting warmed up, I was very angry at my shorts because I had to keep pulling them up every second.

The game started off well; I was starting but didn’t get the ball much, so I had no need to worry about my pants getting too loose while I had the ball in my hand. I didn’t shoot much when I was young; I mostly just passed the ball. I was the best passer on the team. I got through halftime happy because my pants weren’t a problem. I didn’t get the ball much so I could pull them up whenever I wanted.

At the beginning of the first half, they told me to stay back on defense so if we got a steal, they could pass it to me. Its considered “cherry picking,” but it’s not against the rules. Our first try at it didn’t work because my friend A.J. threw the pass too far, and it went out of bounds. Second try at it, it worked perfectly, but the problem was that I had forgotten to pull my shorts up before I got the pass. They were hanging low, so I had to spread my legs a little when I ran. As I approached the basket my shorts were very, very loose. I was worried they would fall, but I had to go for the layup or else my team would get mad at me. I hopped into the air, and right as I went up, I knew it, my pants were going to fall down. As I predicted, they did. I made the shot, but my shorts were sitting on the ground and there I was standing in my underwear.

Immediately I pulled them up. Everyone laughed at me; the team, my dad (the coach), all the parent, even I laughed a little. My dad let me sit out the rest of the game; he told me that I should’ve told him about the loose shorts issue, and the he had a pair that would fit me. We won the game, and I went home happy, but to this day I still remember that as my most embarrassing moment.

“I learned that you need to ask questions before you proceed with something.”