Mr. Brewer and Standing Up For Yourself | Teen Ink

Mr. Brewer and Standing Up For Yourself

By BrainsANDBeauty PLATINUM, Donnellson, Iowa
BrainsANDBeauty PLATINUM, Donnellson, Iowa

I knew that guy when he was a caterpillar, you know, before he 'came out'

MR. B. What can I say?? The terror all us students feel when he STORMS down the hall? The meek, terrified feeling we get when his EVIL eyes gaze upon us. Or, in some cases, the anger that bubbles up inside of us until we want to BURST!!
One word describes Mr. B best though, absolutely horrible. The way he puts you down when you say the wrong thing. How he yells at you and humiliates you in front of all your peers. And don’t even get me started on how he treats you if you forget something, or are late. I mean, all teachers get mad, but he is absolutely horrifying!!
Some people say that he once threw a stapler at some one. Others say he tipped a desk. According to an anonymous informer, (cough cough, Mrs. H, cough cough), one student was so terrified of him that he wet his pants instead of asking him if he could go to the bathroom.
My experience with him is different. It was a regular day in Mr. B’s first hour, checking an assignment, and I decided I was fed up. For the first time I can remember, somebody stood up to him. That somebody was me. He said something that disagreed with the text, so I stated my opinion. According to my classmates, everyone thought I was DEAD MEAT!!
For about five minutes Mr. B and I “exchanged words”. Finally, I ended it. “Ok.” I said. I was tired of fighting him.
All that morning, people were talking about it. I had become a sort of celebrity. I couldn’t walk into a classroom without hearing my name whispered, or yelled, twenty or thirty times. I was powerful enough to stand up to him.
Even teachers had heard about it, and were congratulating me. I felt like I was on top of the world, or at least on top of Central Junior High. That afternoon, something else happened and I was almost totally forgotten. You know what? I learned something though. From now on I will not show fear to Mr. B, and I am encouraging others to do the same.
We are to respect our teachers, not fear them, so that is what will happen from here on out. I changed something that day, and you know what, I almost think Mr. B respects me now. It’s amazing what a few words can do, isn’t it?

This happened in 8th grade, and I had completely forgotten about it until I started going through old files.