The Trip | Teen Ink

The Trip

As an elementary school student, I was aware I had nut allergies, but never thought they would be fatal.  I thought it wasn’t ever going to be a major reaction, just swollen lips.  It was one day my parents insisted I ate breakfast.  “It's just a small bar, eat it”.  They kept trying to force me to eat it.  I said, “Stop trying to force it down my throat, I'm not hungry right now, I’ll eat it later”.  “I don’t know when later is, so you are going to eat it now.” my parents said.  I ended up eating the “kind”  bar, but 5 minutes later I wasn’t feeling good.  Why is my whole mouth itchy? My throat kinda hurts when I swallow now. I thought to myself.  I said to my parents, “Did you guys check the ingredients?”.  “I thought mom would have checked them”, my dad replied.  We check the box and see **Contains Pecans**.  My heart dropped,  “I'm screwed” I said.  We had to inject an epi pen and rush me to the hospital.  I wake up in the ER, hours have passed.  “What happened?”  After we left, my parents told me from now on I will always ask about the ingredients.  I agreed, they agreed. I made sure I never ate at “kind” bar again.                       

Almost two years ago I experienced something I never want to again.  I had a bad allergic reaction and later went to the ER.  For this piece I wrote like Sonia Sanchez.  You can see this in the beginning of the story and at the end of it.  What I liked most about this piece was the ending.

rohitr0 said...
rohitr0, Cupertino, California
Nice one!