My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

January 18, 2022
By edom23 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
edom23 GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
16 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Emma. Even though Emma is one of the most common and basic names that doesn’t mean it doesn’t have its very own background.


Whenever I hear the name Emma the picture of flowers is always what comes to mind. Something that is refreshing, almost like coming up for a breath of air. The smell of flowers illuminates within my nostrils just bringing a faint smile to my face. 


My name has a meaning of being “whole” and “universal.” which is controversial with being paired with my personality. Thinking of myself as being whole puts me in the mindset of feeling complete and having everything figured out. That’s not who I am. Moments of being whole and universal do happen—but that’s not an everyday thing. 


Emma has been a word that has the most meaning in my life. From the silly nicknames, my friends would give me when we were kids. It seems like it was just yesterday that they would be yelling Emmy or Em to come to play with them. It’s the nostalgic feeling that makes me feel so close to my name. From the comforting sound of my nana calling my name to come eat dinner. 

 

The constant rhymes being used by my uncle and singing me songs. Emma, Emma, Bo-Bemma Banana-Fana-Fo Femma Me-My-Mo-Memma! Emma!!  It seems silly but it’s a part of who I am. My name is what identifies me for my entire life. Without it, I honestly don’t know what my life would be like. Even though I wasn’t named after an ancestor or a celebrity my name is still important to me just like anyone else.