First Football | Teen Ink

First Football

By cadenwocky BRONZE, Tampa, Florida
cadenwocky BRONZE, Tampa, Florida

Not every 6th-grade football player plays a lot, but when they do, they try to make the most out of it.

I was an 11-year-old boy who loved to play football and could not wait for my first game. I played QB and really wanted to play.  Everything about my first game was fun. It was my day of firsts. I had my first football bus ride. It was fun, we usually just talked and got in the mood for a game. I had my first pregame meal. Every time before our game we had a pre-game meal. I loved it. We got to leave class early and go hang out with friends and eat. Every time we got in line for food all the 8th graders yelled “8th grade privilege”, saying everyone move and let us eat. We usually ate in Coach Willeke’s room and talked for a while then the Coach would tell us to not talk and get focused.

Our game was at Northside Christian, not too far, it was the perfect length away. Not too long of a ride but not too short. I and all the 6th graders could not wait, even if none of us played we would still be happy to just be there. When we got there the entire team put their equipment down and went to the bathroom. We just did normal stuff -. After that, we went to stretch and warm-up for the game.

We didn’t really get to warm up because we didn’t play. Once we finished, we all got in a huddle and screamed “Lancer on me, Lancers on 3, 1...2...3 lancers!”.  Since I was a 6th grader I went straight to the sideline and prepared to watch the game the whole time. We scored on the first play of the first game of the season, it was soooo hype. We were all so happy. Eventually, we just kept scoring and scoring. Our starting QB at the time Willie Suarez had all 5 touchdowns with a total score of 35-0.   

So, with a couple minutes left Coach Wilike, out football coach at the time, yells, “Caden, you're in”. 

“Yes sir!” I responded.  Oh boy, I was nervous. I tried to act cool and be calm but in my head, I was so happy. 

Coach came and said “The play is 22 dive” which pretty much is a run up the middle. 

I went to the huddle and repeated the play “22 dive on 1, ready go, *clap*”. We got to our spots and called the play. I was so nervous I couldn’t hear anything I just remember the adrenaline rushing through me. I was hype. I don’t know who but one of the people who were in with me said “good job let's keep going”. 

We just kept running the ball and gaining yards. The clock was ticking coach called a timeout. We all went to the sideline and had water. Everyone was just saying good job to the players, and it felt really good. I heard my mom screaming for about 1 second. I looked and waved at her. I knew she was proud. I was praying the coach would call a pass play. I wasn’t the best at throwing yet but I was confident. I just wanted to have fun. Coach called another run play. The play completely backfired I could not get the handoff off. I saw our running back Tate and threw it at him. I really had no idea what happened or what was going on, but it worked. That was my highlight of the game. Yea we won but nothing could top that.

Once we got closer to the touchdown coach called another pass play “Base pass play,” the coach said. We got to the line, and I called hut, Lucas Leiton who was in 6th grade at the time, was running a 10 yard out route I rolled out the pocket and he was open. I threw it and it sailed over his head. I was mad that I missed the throw, but I didn’t let it get to me. I don't have the best memory of what really happened after that. I know that we got close to scoring but we didn’t. Then our defense went in and sealed the game. It was fun and very memorable. I will most likely never forget it. 

After the game, I got a lot of congratulations, and I loved it. The team won and, in my mind, I won so I was in a good mood. It also made me feel greatly confident and made football a lot more enjoyable for me knowing that I've played decently well. Then I went and took a thousand pictures that my mom makes me do after every game. Then we put our equipment away and went to go eat. We usually went to Applebee's. Then I went home and dreamed about it and couldn’t wait for the next game. The moments kept replaying in my head. I treated it like I had just won a million dollars, and I was ready for the next game. 

The game was important to me. Football is a big part in my life I have spent many hours invested in it and being rewarded with being able to play in my first game is crazy. As a kid all you want to be older so you can do more things like if you are an eighth grader you will play no matter what, even if a 6th grader is better, you you're in 8th grade so they will play you. I was the beginning of my career and was my starting point. Now I'm onto my last middle school game ever next week. Time flies' man. I just really appreciate the team and that whole year and my entire middle school career. I've spent so many hours in football and my first game felt like it was yesterday and now my last game in exactly a week.