Waterfall | Teen Ink

Waterfall

June 2, 2021
By Anonymous

It was 10 am, I finally let the stench of my morning breath wakes me up. It was Saturday and Jacob was at his dad's house for the weekend and usually stops by my house around 1:00 -1:30. Jacob was a short caucasian kid who always had short blonde hair. So during the 2 hours, I had before he showed up I went and cleaned the house. The bleach cleaner I was using to clean the bathroom stained my pant’s brownish pink along with my shirt. By the time I finished, it was noon and a new episode of my favorite anime dropped. When I was watching it I heard a knock at my front door.  It was Jacob. He spoke to me in this excited tone,  “Hey X, wanna come to the creek with me?”

I replied even more excited with “Yeah let's go”.  But as soon as I said that my grandma entered the room. My grandma who was in her nightgown and had her wig on who had just woken up asked if I did my chores.  I responded with “ Yes ma’am I have everything done” and she gave me the good to go to leave.  I left out of the garage door to get my bike, slowly moving out so I could not hit my dads’ new motorcycle. We rode our bike down to Jacob's house and went to his back yard where we were surrounded by trees and rocks. The smells of the outdoors got stuck into our clothes and the smell of bleach was overpowered by it.

The light breeze, the rustling leaves, the tall trees, the sun beating down on us, and the glistening water was inviting for us to jump in. We started wandering and walking in the water. The feeling of wet socks annoyed me. I asked in a frustrated voice to Jacob, “Where are we even going?"

He answered in a chill voice, “Where ever the water takes us." 

The water ended up parting and that was when I was questioning the point of Jacob saying that. “Which way you wanna go?” I mocked.

“Right,” he said, unsure. Splash, splash, splash, splash, our footsteps could be heard from miles away, and the wet sock that was in my shoes now in my shorts. As we walked deeper and deeper the water got deeper.

“Aye Jacob,” I asked concerned  “Do you think this water is gonna get any deeper?”

“No, BUT DO YOU HEAR THAT?” he shouted enthusiastically. The sound got faster and it sounded like a freight train. But we noticed something, the water was pulling us and before we knew it we went off the ledge of the waterfall. As soon as we bobbed back up we hopped out of the water. The cold water felt like a sheet of snow and I was shivering. Then I started to look around. The tall trees, The leaves that made a blanket to cover the dirt, The chirping birds, and the open field that was filled with thorns and the waterfall gave it an aesthetical feeling to it.