My Name | Teen Ink

My Name

By CommanderSRT85 BRONZE, Pewuakee, Wisconsin
CommanderSRT85 BRONZE, Pewuakee, Wisconsin

My name typically is known as “an administrator or a steward,” “a dispenser of provisions.” My name sounds like it would be the number nine, round and short. A formal desaturated blue. The sound of papers being filed while a whole office is tired, filling out paperwork till their fingers fall off.

My mother came up with my name. She always loved the sound of it. The only person she knew with the same name was an old friend. He was one of the funniest and nicest guys she ever met. I hope I am the same and I do my best. Generous to those around me. I always want to make others laugh and have a good time.

With my friends, I crack jokes left and right. Now, not all my jokes are hits. Even in awkward or tense situations I do my best to ease it with a small comment or something to lighten up the mood. I’ve always been good at making a joke about myself to make people laugh and avoid small fights. 

I’m a pretty chill guy and am usually cool with everything. My friends see how chill I am and how I don’t get easily offended when we poke fun at each other. Instead I joke back with them. We mess around and make fun of each other all in good heart and in the end we laugh and keep the fun going. I care little of what others think of me. I love who I am and  the things I do and I never try to act like someone else to try to hide who I really am. Instead I just try to live in the moment having the best time I can and sharing it with others.

I am not an enforcer as my name suggests. or someone very formal. or really all that intelligent. I like bright colors contrasting against each other. I’m not round or short. and my favorite number is twelve. And most of all, I am no ordinary office worker. I have always been on the more creative side. I love movies, art, acting, and filmmaking. Movies like Back to the Future, Goodfellas, Interstellar, Wolf of Wall Street. Actors such as Leonardo Dicaprio, Mathew Mcouughay, Matt Damon, Christian Bale, Jake Gyllenhal. I look up to directors who have created masterpieces. Christopher Nolan, David Fincher, Martin Scorsece. That’s all I’ve ever loved and I will till the day I die. 

Don’t get me wrong, I love my name. I think it's just different enough to where you can’t count the number of people with my name on one hand. And it has a slight charm to it that flows and makes you wonder the type of person I am. No one sees me as too serious. I don’t have many associations with typical thoughts surrounding my name. I am and always will be Spencer.