Finding a New Religion | Teen Ink

Finding a New Religion

May 16, 2019
By ParkPark BRONZE, Hiawatha, Kansas
ParkPark BRONZE, Hiawatha, Kansas
2 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
"I bang my own drums, some think it's noise, I think it's pretty"


I didn’t grown up in a very religious household. My parents never went to church, I was never baptized, and I never cared for Bible stories. My grandma on my dad’s side, however, was very into all this Jesus-y stuff. She always went to church, and church-related functions. She would light the candles at Christmas, and say a prayer. She would recite grace before a meal, and read from the bible or other religious books every night before bed. On the unfortunate chances that I would be staying at her house, I would have to accompany her. At first, when I was little, I thought nothing of this. I would calmly participate, say the prayers and sing the hymns. But as I got older, I started to question their beliefs. Christianity started to make less and less sense to me, and soon, I avoided the religion altogether. When I did go to church, with my grandma, I sat in the back, playing on my phone. Standing when others did, mouthing the words, and avoiding the activities. When they would eat bread and wine, I would take the piece, go back  to my seat, and throw away the bread afterwards. High school rolled around, and I’m without a religion. One day in Freshman year I came across a video on youtube talking about The Satanic Bible. Many of the points that she brought up I agreed with. Living your life how you want, not worrying about what came after you died. Doing what you want, as long as you’re not hurting yourself or others. I’ve always been one to not care, and do/be who I am and not what someone else has determined with rules or ‘commandments’. Later after discovering the video, I did more research and found that I agreed with most, if not all of the Satanic beliefs. And ever since that day, I continued to call myself a Satanist, and live my life here and now.