A Creek Full of Memories | Teen Ink

A Creek Full of Memories

When approaching the water my mind and body is flooded with sensations and feelings of nostalgia, as well as euphoria as I remember all of the fun times I have had in the creek. I hear children yelling in amusement as I walk down the dirt path to the water. The closer I get to the creek it smells more of water, and sunscreen. Images run through my head of me as a child, playing in the creek, catching fish, snakes, and crawdads, under close supervision from my mother. “Don’t go too far, there's a current!” Mom would say. My peaceful thoughts are interrupted by a burning sensation, as the hot sand was burning the soles of my feet, but I don’t mind because the cool water will rehabilitate my feet soon. The walk across the 15 foot stream is peaceful, as the fish and other amphibians scatter under the rocks to hide from my feet.

The memories transform from childhood to teenage memories as I trek further back through the winding creek, reaching the deeper parts of the creek where I have fished with rod and reel for a few years. The creek provided superfluous amounts of fish species, and they all have their special homes in the water. Catching the fish that I would not find in the common lakes and ponds around town made the creek even more special. A 20 minute drive down the road, and a 15 minute hike through the creek took me to a new dimension, where I could do things I previously thought to be impossible. As I hiked even further back in creek, I reach a familiar split in the creek. Left, or right? I have had an abundance of good times and memories on each. The sun reflected off of the water now, due to creek widening and opening up at the split. It hits me dead in the eyes but I am not bothered. It only reminds me further of the days I have spent laying in the sand with the many friends I have shared my sanctuary with. Everyone else may not see a dirty, small, creek the way I see it, but to me it is so much more. The creek makes me happy as a clam.

My little story!