Serving Up Smiles | Teen Ink

Serving Up Smiles

By gillianhe25 BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan
gillianhe25 BRONZE, Temperance, Michigan

It is cold outside but as soon as I open the door I am engulfed by warm air. Neat rows of tables fill the room and the smell of chili floods my nose. My mom and I put on our crisp, white aprons and and gloves in order to prepare for the rush of people we know are coming. At precisely 5:30 the dull hum of conversation begins to fill the room. I’m standing over a huge pot of chili and as the line moves I greet each person with a bright smile and enthusiastic “Hi! How are you today?” A few respond with a halfhearted “good” but most just move along without acknowledging me.

I look to my left and see my mom, her smile radiates from across the room and I am reminded of how time and time again my mom has put me, our family, and others above herself. She is truly a kind, loving person and inspiration to me everyday. Not only does my mom take it upon herself to help others, but she encourages our family and our friends to do the same. She has always been there for me and she always knows what to say to make me feel better. One way I have let my mom know how much she means to me is by getting us friendship bracelets. Having something to remind me that my mom might not actually be with me, but is always there for me is really comforting.

Regularly volunteering at the soup kitchen with my mom just reminds me of how lucky I am and everything I own my parents. Witnessing people show up bundled up in so many miss matched layers it's impossible to tell where their coats stop and their bodies begin, I am baffled  to see people that have to live like this, unsure of where their next meal will come from. By the time dinner is over, the hall is completely empty, like it was ransacked by thieves. It weighed heavy on my heart that theses people had absolutely nothing, so they felt like they had to take anything and everything.     

This was an important day for me, I left the soup kitchen that night feeling that I had made a difference. Even though I might not have changed those peoples lives I did make their day a little bit easier. The feeling of accomplishment and fulfillment that I was meet with that night I owed to my mom.