The Importance of Friendship | Teen Ink

The Importance of Friendship

October 11, 2018
By drewda3 BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
drewda3 BRONZE, Lambertville, Michigan
3 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Making Friends

Dear Katie,

I carry around a picture of us to remind me of the day we met. I still remember it because it meant so much to me for you to become my friend and help me adjust to school.


The red paint chipped in places and the ceiling peeled off in big chunks. The cash registers dinged as people made their way through the line, punching in their numbers to complete the transaction. People filed in and out of the back room showing off their selection to their peers. The fans were all cranked to max power, but to no avail the hot sticky air managed to infest the room almost taunting the fans effort. Conversations melded together making a sort of Frankenstein’s monster conversation to hear. “ Do we want to have been chicken yesterday and class”. Talking wasn’t an option because the endless childish screams of the freshmen drown out anything less than a yell.
My throat tightens as my eyes fall upon the crowd of unfamiliar people. Scanning the room I block out the deafening cacophony of the lunch room. As I try to find a place to sit,  students scattering back and forth between tables finding their niche effortlessly. My eyes lock onto an empty seat and my heart begins to calm. I race over to claim my spot and take my seat. I jam my earbuds into my ears as deep as they will go blocking out the stray sounds from around me. Once again alone I sat thinking of a more familiar place with familiar people. As I start to unpack my lunch and settle in I felt something touch my shoulder. I know no one so I am convinced it was by accident. More forceful this time, too hard to write off i turn and am greeted by a girl. Would you like to sit with us?

The girls hair was in a bluish mess, caught under her book bag strap. She noticeably smiled harder when I made eye contact with her. She thrusted her arm towards the middle of the cavernous cafeteria, indicating a small group of girls all indifferent to our peering eyes. I squinted my eyes and I looked over once more before awkwardly agreeing. She led our expedition through the perils of the early lunch, expertly navigating through the sea of students. When we reached the table the other girls gave forced smiles while i noticeably squirmed under their inquisitive glances. In an almost practiced order the girls quickly rattled of their names and their ages before all of their gazes fell upon me waiting for a response. After returning the greeting and introduction we all settled in and struggled to keep a conversation.

I am so grateful for this day. I can never repay you for the kindness you showed me. I will always remember it and cherish this memory even after we both graduate. That day has helped me come out of my shell and make friends. When I moved here I was so depressed I lost all the friends I had made and was being pushed into a new place where I knew no one. You made the adjustment a thousand times easier. I know it mustn’t have been easy because I can be stubborn and rude. But you pushed through all that and made me the person I am today.


The author's comments:

This piece is a story about me switching schools and struggling to find my place. I never would have found it without my friend Katie.