The State of The Union | Teen Ink

The State of The Union

By JamesStory PLATINUM, Baltimore, Maryland
JamesStory PLATINUM, Baltimore, Maryland

"It’s none of their business that you have to learn to write. Let them think you were born that way." -Ernest Hemingway

I have a friend named Connor. He has been my friend for 8 years or more. I am going to tell you how we met, memories we had together and how our friendship declined. It’s the greet and meet and Lutherville Lab Elementary where we meet our kindergarten teacher. In that meet and greet is where I meet Connor and my other best friend RJ. We started playing with building blocks and quickly learned to know each other. After that our parents started talking and he came over to my house the next day. Each day in kindergarten I would come into the classroom and we would sit next to each other, drawing and having a good time. Then after school we would play outside until our parents picked us up.

Then first grade came along. We did not have any classes together, so it was difficult for us to see each other. Even though we didn’t have any classes together, we still made a great memory that year. We went to Rita’s at the end of the year and we got it all over our faces. It was so much fun because we really hadn’t had any time to hangout that year and the fact that it was my first time going to Rita’s and I was going with my best friend.

I am going to skip to 3rd grade because that is when our friendship started going downhill. I had been diagnosed with ADHD that year and because of that I had started to become annoying. It was really upsetting because I had known Connor for about 3 years at that point, so it made me mad that something I couldn’t control was getting in the way of our friendship. That year more kids had been coming into our school, so he would have more opportunities to make more friends. Also, again we did not have any classes with each other.

This was the 2nd year in a row we did not have any classes together so even though I had been hanging out with him occasionally, we went to school every day and more time to socially interact. So that year went downhill with me and Connors friendship on the line of breaking into millions of pieces.

4th grade came along, and we finally had classes together. Our friendship had taken another turn though as one of her better friends was in his class. His name was Chole. He had been friends with Connor for even longer, probably in preschool, so they were better friends with each other.

That is all that happened in 4th grade because me and Connor essentially started becoming friends with each other again.

Skip to 6th grade. This is where things really went downhill because at that point, my ADHD had gotten out of control so that no one wanted to hang out with me. Including Connor. Every day at lunch I was annoying to him and everyone else at the table I sit at.

Also, again he meets new friends that now sat at our table which means I would have less time to hang out with him. It did not help that middle school had more work than elementary school, so we would have even less time to hangout. We did have boy scouts together and that was the only time we got to hangout, but we would never be in the same patrol together so that really sucked.

At the end of 6th grade, I finally got medicine for my ADHD and mood disorder so that I could control me being hyperactive. This really helped a lot because this means I could be calm and when someone talked to me, I wouldn’t react all crazy. It did not help all that much though because the damage had already been done and nothing could help rebuild our friendship until a retry next year.

In the summer of 6th grade, I got his new number and we started face timing again. We played a bunch of games together which was nice. When it was just me and him talking with none of his friends around, we would play a lot of games together, he would be nice, and we would have a great time.

When he was with all his friends though, he would make fun of me for the things I did, and he would be very nasty and rude to me. It really upset me because at some points I thought we were friends, but the next day It would seem like he hated me and never wanted to talk to me ever again. It sucked because we had known of each other for so long and to see our friendship die out made me upset.

In 7th grade, I started fresh and was not as annoying as I was last year. 7th grade was my time to retry friendships and try to make up what I had done. We talked a little bit at the beginning at the school but by the time it was the middle of the school year, he did not want to talk to me because he had become friends with people he was never friends before with at my elementary school.

At our table we have all our friends from elementary school. The only person that is not from our elementary school at our table is a kid named Max. We are not really friends because he is one of the ones that is mean to me with Connor. The only memory I have with Connor that year was that I went to his birthday party and we played on the ps4 together.

That is all that happened in 7th grade and nothing much happened in the summer of 7th grade other than I saw him a few times at a target then our moms talked for a while and let me say they talked so long it was insane. At the end of the day I thought our friendship was over with for one reason.

At the end of 7th grade he was annoying me so much because he kept putting stuff by my lunch box that I didn’t want, and it really annoyed me. He kept putting a bottle near my lunch box and some got on my lunch box and that was about the 100th time he had done that (sarcasm intended) so I threw it at him. He said then that I was so annoying at that I was always annoying him.

Even though all the times he did stuff to me and I did not care. That was the first time I did something to him in a long time. He kept bringing up times I was annoying in elementary school, before I had my ADHD medicine. It was not valid evidence that I was annoying.

8th grade was the start of the end of our friendship. He would never respond to me and he would never talk to me. That was the end of a great friendship that lasted since kindergarten.

Thank you, Connor, for all the great memories we had. We had fun and it was fun while it lasted. Even though our friendship will never recover. Maybe someday it will.

I really wanted to start telling expirences about my life. It seems great to share with you.