A Thank You to a Vietnam Veteran | Teen Ink

A Thank You to a Vietnam Veteran

March 12, 2018
By deviantdragon PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
deviantdragon PLATINUM, Hartland, Wisconsin
25 articles 0 photos 1 comment

Dear Vietnam Veteran,

Welcome home! I hope this Honor Flight has been everything you hoped for and more–you and every person who served with you deserves to see and experience the memorials constructed in your honor.

I am a high school junior and an aspiring architect or digital designer. Although college is a year or two away, I can’t help but think about how my aspirations are made possible because of the freedoms you ensured everyone in America, starting from when you were only about 18. You were likely 1 year older than me when you faced deployment. So you may have dedicated your life and time to the Army forces for several years when I’m planning on safely entering four years or so of college. An idea like that, one that I can’t even begin to comprehend the implications of, only serves to make me all the more grateful for what you’ve sacrificed in the name of serving America.

Although I don’t have much American military history in my family (besides a brief service by my grandfather), I do know the profession you chose is one that the average person wouldn’t dream of choosing. It’s rough, it’s taxing, and the experiences don’t simply wear away with time.

Despite your sacrifice, you still didn’t receive the resounding “Welcome home” you deserved when you first arrived back in America from the Vietnam War. All the anger and fear placed upon you was unwarranted and, quite frankly, cruel. Your service and sacrifices preserved the freedoms of America, and such dedication deserves millions of “Welcome home”s, and billions of heartfelt “Thank you”s. Most of all, a sincere and wholehearted feeling of thankfulness that cannot be described with words is in order.

So, welcome home, Vietnam Veteran, and thank you for every second of your service; my life and freedoms wouldn’t be the same without your dedication, perseverance, and sacrifice.