Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

December 22, 2017
By melon14 GOLD, Waukesha, Wisconsin
melon14 GOLD, Waukesha, Wisconsin
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Veteran,

I would first like to thank you for everything you’ve done! I really look up to you for your bravery and devotion to our country. It’s really amazing that you went and fought for us. Welcome home.

I’m a senior in high school. I’m planning on going to college and I am majoring in social work. I want to become a family, child, or couple social worker to help other people and make sure people have good homes and are safe.

I don’t have connections to people that were in the military that I know of. I wasn’t ever told if I had a relative that served. So to me, I don’t know much about going to fight for our country. What I do know is that it takes a lot of bravery and sometimes you don’t know if you’ll make it back. For what you did, I’d like to thank you for putting others lives before yours and devoting your love to our country.

In eighth grade, I got the chance to go to Washington D.C. and see the memorials. The day I was able to see them impacted me and made me realize how many people have fought for our country. That was a powerful thing for me to see and I can’t say thank you enough. I could say it 100 times and it still wouldn’t be enough.

To me, you are a hero. You do what some people can’t do and you put your life out there for our country. You are one of the most selfless people I could think of. To think some people were drafted at age 18 seems crazy. I’m almost 18 but many of my friends are 18, and to think they would have a chance to get drafted if we still had one, is very very sad to me. I can’t imagine someone I love being sent to war and how they may not come back. For that, I’m so grateful towards you.

I wish everyone was like you: brave, heroic, and selfless. You are the face of a true American with love to his/her country. Again, I can’t say thank you enough and I hope I’ve gotten that message across to you.

Thank you again for all that you’ve done