Main Man Mahatma | Teen Ink

Main Man Mahatma

November 22, 2017
By yamamistry SILVER, Metairie, Louisiana
yamamistry SILVER, Metairie, Louisiana
5 articles 0 photos 0 comments

There are many heroes in the world today, and there have been many heroes in the past who have done great things for their countries and for their people. Moreover, there are various types of heros, and one specific type is an epic hero. An epic hero is a man of high social status who is important to the history of his people. An epic hero also represents good and fights the evil, and he embodies the ideals of his people. One such epic hero is Beowulf, and he saves the people of a kingdom called Herot through fighting with a monster. An epic hero has many traits such as generosity, self-confidence, bravery, and strength. All of these traits continue on to be seen in many modern heros in the world today. Mahatma Gandhi is an example of a modern day hero due to his loyalty, courage, and wisdom. 
       

One of the traits that Mahatma Gandhi possesses is loyalty. Loyalty is being faithful to one’s commitment or obligations. Gandhi was a very loyal person because he fulfilled his duties that he had for his country and for his people. Gandhi did not have to start any protests for his country’s freedom, but he wanted to support his country and his people, and he wanted to be loyal and faithful to them. Moreover, even though many people were against him for doing many protests against the British, he did not give up or stop fighting. He was not scared of the people not being in his favor. All he cared about was doing good for his country and setting his country free from the British rule. One of Gandhi’s loyal acts towards his people was starting campaigns to improve the lives of the intouchables, which were the low caste people. Many people would be against Gandhi for doing these good things for the poor; however, Gandhi and his followers were not affected by those unsupportive people at all. For Gandhi, all people were equal to him, and it did not matter to him whether they were rich, poor, old, or young. No matter what the upper class people thought about him, Gandhi wanted to remain loyal to the poor people of his country and not ignore them like other people did. A true leader would not discriminate between the social classes if he was truly loyal. Furthermore, he continued his campaigns and fights for the injustices shown towards the low caste people, and along with that, he also continued his protests and nonviolent fights for the independence of India. Although the people of his own country were against certain actions of his, Gandhi still remained loyal to his country and to his people. He did not let them down, and this can be clearly seen when India gained its independence in 1947. In this way, all of his actions that he did in his life showed his loyalty for his country.
       

Another trait that Gandhi possesses is courage. Courage is a quality of the mind that enables a person to face difficulty or pain without any fear. Every action that Gandhi performed was full of courage because he kept his mind stable throughout his hardships, and he was never afraid to do anything for his people. Protesting and fighting against the government was not an easy and safe task for Gandhi. One of his courageous acts was the Salt March, which took place from March to April 1930. The Salt March, also known as the Dandi Satyagraha or Dandi March, was an act of nonviolent civil disobedience to make salt from the seawater in the coastal village of Dandi. In the Salt March, Gandhi had picked up a lump of salt from the seawater, and this was a symbolic act of defiance against the British Raj. Nearly 60,000 people, including Gandhi himself, were arrested because of what they had done in the Salt March. He knew that his actions would get him into trouble, but that was not what he looked at. Rather, he looked at how he could help his country gain freedom. Overall, Gandhi was very courageous in the actions that he performed throughout his time of fighting for India’s independence.
         

One more trait that Gandhi possesses is wisdom. Wisdom is having the knowledge of what is right or wrong, and it is also having the right type of understanding. Gandhi was a very wise decision maker, and he chose the right choice by fighting in a nonviolent way. One example that shows Gandhi’s wisdom is the time when Gandhi had launched the Quit India Movement in August 1942. The Quit India Movement was not a violent protest or rebellion. Rather, this was a civil disobedience act movement in response to Gandhi’s call for the immediate independence of India. The main goal of this movement was to bring the British government to the negotiating table through determined but passive resistance. In the Quit India Movement, Gandhi and his followers could have easily started a violent fight against the government, but they were wise enough not to do that. In addition, Gandhi had set an example of fighting in a nonviolent way for the leaders that would come in the future, such as Martin Luther King, Nelson Mandela, and others. He knew that being wise and doing the right things might not be what society would want him to do. Moreover, he did not look towards what society thought, and all he thought about was making wise decisions. Also, he knew that violence was not going to get him any far in his protests and his fights for India’s freedom. In fact, he understood that violence would just cause more trouble and problems in India. In this way, Gandhi was a wise person who had made the smart choice of fighting in a nonviolent manner for his country.
         

One example of a modern day hero is Mahatma Gandhi due to his loyalty, courage, and wisdom. Gandhi was always loyal to his country and to his people. Even during times of suffering and difficulties, he did not give up, and he continued fighting for the people of his country. When he led his campaigns for the poor, his one goal was to just help them and make their lives better. Moreover, he did not care if anyone was on his side or not, and all he thought was important was that he always remained loyal to his country. Every step and action that Gandhi took was full of courage. He was not afraid of the government and the people being against him and his ideas. After Gandhi led the Salt March, he was arrested; however, even after being arrested, he kept courage, and he continued his nonviolent protests. In addition to this, Mahatma Gandhi was a very wise person. He knew that fighting in a violent manner would not make him progress further in any way, so he chose to fight in a nonviolent way. He even became a very influential person for the leaders that would come in the future and protest in a nonviolent manner. Gandhi had launched the Quit India Movement in a nonviolent and peaceful way, which was very wise of him because if he had started it in a violent way, then there would have been many problems between Gandhi and the government. Overall, all people can learn a big lesson about social justice and human rights from Mahatma Gandhi’s life and actions.