Heroes | Teen Ink

Heroes

December 1, 2016
By Kbball10 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
Kbball10 GOLD, Pewaukee, Wisconsin
14 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Veteran,


My name is Karina S. and I am a high school student. I am writing this letter to you to reach out and thank you for all that you have done and sacrificed for our country. I am only 17 years old and yet I have been able to do so much in my life because of my freedom and I do not take it for granted. I wasn’t born in the United States so I have a different perspective on what freedom means to me and what the people that fight for our freedom mean to me. Other countries don’t know what freedom feels like, and I think that shows just how lucky we are.


You have made an enormous impact on all of our lives. Without your sacrifice, I wouldn’t be the person I am today, and I probably wouldn’t be living here in the United States. That changes my whole life and shows how much freedom can change someone's life. You made it possible for us to have the ability to pick and choose what we want in life, and pursue our interests and well-being.


Strong, brave, honorable, self-sacrificing, admirable. These are just a few words that describe you as a person, and veteran. But, words cannot describe how thankful I am for your service. It is unbelievably courageous that a part of your life was fighting for our country, people you didn’t know, and yourself as well. Unfortunately people’s lives were lost while fighting… many you may know, but it has made you a better, stronger person from it. Everything in life isn’t easy, you know that is true and have witnessed it. But just know that all the small things I can do in my life that lead up to the big things are because of you. Whether it’s the freedom of religion, or freedom of speech.


I hope that the rest of your life you remember how much you mean to people even if you don’t know them. You are a hero to all of us and never forget the impact you’ve made on everyone and generations to come. They can choose their life because of your heroic act.