Nikola Tesla: An Electrifying Article | Teen Ink

Nikola Tesla: An Electrifying Article

By Baconation10 BRONZE, South China, Maine
Baconation10 BRONZE, South China, Maine
1 article 0 photos 1 comment

What would you do without electricity? You definitely wouldn't use you're smartphone, or watch TV. Before Nikola Tesla invented AC power there was only DC(direct current power). Nikola Tesla was one of the greatest inventors of all time. when Tesla came to America he had worked forThomas Edison, Edison saying that he would pay tesla $50,000 if Tesla improved his his generators. Tesla did, but Edison told tesla that, “when you become a full fledged American you'll appreciate an American joke”, offended and disgusted, Tesla quit immediately after.

After he had quit, he further imagined an idea to generate energy using AC(alternating current.). The investors laughed at him, they did not believe that his idea would work. Except for one person named George Westinghouse, who invested in the Tesla electric light company.

When Tesla first produced his AC generator, it worked perfectly, a lot of people started switching from Edison's direct current to Teslas alternating current. Edison hated Tesla for this, so he went out in the street and tried to make people think AC was not safe by electrocuting animals out in the open. But Edison's jealous attempt for fame only made Teslas AC even more popular. Because of Edison's attempt to get rid of AC forever was really crappy, the government invented the electric chair, which is now used to execute prisoners.

Tesla also created the first RC(remote control) devices. He unveiled it in Madison Square Garden in New York City. Even though Edison and Tesla are pretty much mortal enemies, they still came to respect each other. “When there were fires at Tesla’s laboratory, Edison provided him a lab, so clearly there was some mutual respect,”(Carlson).

This is mostly a school project. but i enjoy nikola tesla a lot.