Heroes vs. Leaders | Teen Ink

Heroes vs. Leaders

By Kevin Ji SILVER, Palo Alto, California
Kevin Ji SILVER, Palo Alto, California

In our modern English language, there are various ways to interpret the meaning of a word. Although established definitions are available, words often overlap in meaning. One of the most common groups has been the differences between a hero and a leader. Are these two positions synonymous with one another or do they have distinguishable contrasts? Many of our contemporary leaders of commerce indeed emulate characteristics of a hero and may even be idolized to this extent. However, where does one draw the line in regards to identifying a true leader vs. a true hero? By thoroughly examining and contemplating on variables of each party, heroes aren't interested in being seen as a leader. Heroes lead themselves while leaders attempt to lead others.

True heroes are your average working-class citizens that put their lives on the line to save others. They are the firefighters busting through windows and thick slabs of sheetrock to alert an elderly lady that her house is on fire. In addition, heroes are  individuals that dedicate themselves to saving the lives of others. A typical occupation of this sort would be emergency room (ER) personnel. However, some heroes aren't involved with any correlating career paths and just randomly have the impulse to act heroically.  For instance, a recent news leak shared the story of an 11 year old boy named La'Darious Wylie who pushed his younger sister out of an oncoming car moments before it struck and killed him. The boy's 7 year old sister. Sha'vonta, claimed that by the time she regained awareness of what happened, the driver was long gone. This took place while both siblings were waiting at the school's bus stop. A car came speeding out of control and in attempts to save her sister's life, La'Darious forgot about his own. He didn't flinch for one minute about his safety because he knew that he was supposed to protect her. The children's mother, Elizabeth McCrorey, stated, “he knew to look out for her” (Van Dyke). The qualities of a hero supersede that of a leader. Heroes do not have some type of structure or designated requirements to meet. This is because there are no limitations in what heroes bring to the table in terms of duties, services and bold acts of courage. They have a strong sense of morale and aim to follow the most selfless route possible. Those that operate based off principle and values naturally obligate themselves to heroism. In the case of La'Darious, he was taught to lead himself and follow the most righteous path. These values were demonstrated from his last act ever committed on earth.

On the other hand, leaders are only as valuable as their following. Without a group of supporters, a leader would not be recognized and become virtually non-existent. Leaders need people to lead which makes their job a lot more external and involved with the public eye. Spectators may think that a leader is a hero but there is always argument over whether they truly are. This is because leaders are more concerned about approval and recognition than doing the right thing when no one is looking. Take for instance, someone like Bill Gates. Bill Gates may be seen as an heroic pioneer of technology and without his innovations, mankind would be less developed. His continual efforts and improvements in technology benefit health care, education and improve overall quality of life. On the other end, critics may feel that the Gate's foundation hoards large amounts of wealth for corporate interests that potentially harm the well-being of the globe such as vaccinations and GMOs. These visuals of “Bill saving the world” are just merely marketing schemes used to expand outreach (Drobny). The primary difference is that true heroes don't need to be recognized, in fact many of them do not want to be. Leaders want the attention, the validation and be seen as a contributor to the world as we know it. Now if one were to ask whether or not firemen, E.R. Personnel or the late La'Darious Wyley are heroes, there would be far less debate.

It is important for leaders to have qualities of a hero nevertheless. However, leaders may choose to neglect being a true hero because it jeopardizes their status. Just take the example of “whistle-blowers” and how many of our leaders will never share the corruption of social structures. Heroes don't care about external motivators and do what's right under any circumstances.