Of Gods and Kings: Leonidas | Teen Ink

Of Gods and Kings: Leonidas

By Kevin Ji SILVER, Palo Alto, California
Kevin Ji SILVER, Palo Alto, California

When it comes to great leaders, one may not think of kings. Those who rule over others are sometimes not counted as one who leads, but dictates. This is true in many cases. However, one must also ask oneself, “Is one who bears the burden of kingship not fit to qualify him as a great leader?” kings sit on a throne high above their countrymen, or stand over them – looking down upon them during great battles. But there was a king who did not do these things. There once was a king who fought alongside his men. This king made a sacrifice that would be etched into history for all time.

The actualities of the specifics concerning the events that surrounded the life and death of Leonidas are of some debate. However, the premise of his glorious and historical death is what sparked the historical countenance of his name and drove Persia to their knees. Some refer to the war as the Greco-Persian Wars. This is an attempt to quell a bias tone to an otherwise forthright event. Persia was on a conquest to reign over the known world. Greece was merely another spot on the globe to overcome. This is not to say that Persia was not doing what other regions attempted to do throughout history, only that it was Persia who was the enemy of the free world. It was Persia who travelled to Greece. It was the God-king Xerxes, who knocked at Leonidas’ door.
It was then, with messengers of ill-fated attempt to overcome Leonidas through fear and bribery that the king himself was forced to act. According to sources Xerxes sent a message to Leonidas stating, “It is possible for you, by not fighting against God but by ranging yourself on my side, to be the sole ruler of Greece.” Plutarch quotes Leonidas in responses to Xerxes message as saying, “If you had any knowledge of the noble things of life, you would refrain from coveting others' possessions; but for me to die for Greece is better than to be the sole ruler over the people of my race.” As noble as this message in return was, do not forget – Leonidas was a Spartan. Xerxes then replied, “Hand over your arms.” To which Leonidas responded in kind with but one sentence, “Come and take them.”

Leonidas’ response to Xerxes demonstrated that he was a true leader: a king and a fellow countryman. He felt that he had no place as the sole ruler over his race. Did he doubt Xerxes offer? This is highly unlikely. There would be no reason to doubt one who is called a God-king. With this title came his reputation for being as merciful to those who knelt before him as he was ruthless to those who defied him and his “divine” power. With an army the size of his, doubt would easily be overruled by logic. Fight, and die. Kneel, and rule. As history has taught us, King Leonidas and the brave 300 marched against Xerxes. Leonidas and the brave 300 showed that but a few defied tyranny. That but a few stood against many.

We know that Leonidas and the brave 300 lost their lives on the third day of battle against Xerxes’ army. We know that their sacrifice sparked an uprising that eventually pushed Persia from Grecian soil. But this is not a history paper. This is not a reminder that few can stand against many. It is a reminder that one man can make a difference. This is a personal essay illustrating a great leader, and thereby through examples may demonstrate why I chose Leonidas, king of Sparta, as a great leader. Leonidas was not a king watching from afar as his men fought heroically in his name. King Leonidas was not a king who sat on a throne, high above his countrymen. King Leonidas did not look down upon his men. He stood beside them. He fought beside them. He died beside them.