Shira Noe | Teen Ink

Shira Noe MAG

Shira Noe by Jerilyn Krug, New City, NYMy hero is just an average person you might not notice. She isn't some great athlete or famous person. Actually quite the opposite. Her name is Shira Noe.Shira is 15 years old and lives in England. Shira was deaf until she was 14 and then was given a chance to hear the world. She no longer had to use sign language or lip read. She could now hear with hearing aids. When I met her, she had just gotten them. Shira and I met in ski school in Colorado. We became friends instantly and talked all day. One day, we were sitting on the chair lift, on our way up the mountain, and out of nowhere Shira said, "Do you hear that?"I said, "No, I don't hear anything. What are you talking about?""The wind. Can you hear the wind? I have never heard the wind before. It is amazing."I remember just sitting there, thinking how I always took listening to the wind for granted. Shira was 14 and had never heard it.That day, Shira continued to amaze me. Some of our group teased her about her hearing problem, but somehow, she didn't let that bother her. She replied calmly. That was the end of the conversation.I learned a lot from Shira that day. She taught me to look at life and appreciate what I have, not what I don't have. Now I sit and listen to the wind. It is the little things in life that count and, because of Shira, I know that. Shira is my hero. She saved me from never being satisfied with what I am. My advice to you who are reading this - the small things in life can often be more important than all the big things. Also, remember to listen to the wind. Q