What a Wonderful Man! | Teen Ink

What a Wonderful Man!

What a Wonderful Man!

Here I am. A young woman, 16 years old, a junior in high school. My life, thus far, has not been the easiest, but I’ve definitely had my triumphs over the tougher aspects. During my 16 years of life, there has always been someone contributing to my successes: Mr. William Frederick Alexander, a.k.a. Grandpop.

As a child, I always saw Grandpop as a refined, intelligent, loving grandfather. To this day, he is a courageous, patient, caring man, but adults are always even more amazing as a child. I remember living at an apartment complex and watching my strong grandfather carry in my Playskool kitchen. He was the strongest man in my eyes when I was little. I grew up with this macho man by my side, encouraging me through everything, praising me when I did well.

When I was 10 years old, Grandpop and Grandmom took my sister and me to Washington, D.C. for the first time. It was amazing! I learned to appreciate history (though I’m not too fond of it) and the government in general. That was August of 2001. Later, while I was still staying with him, he brought just me on a ferry to the Statue of Liberty where I saw, from a distance, the World Trade Center for the first and last time.

I shared many experiences with my grandfather. He took my sister and me to Atlantic City (which I did not want to go to) where I walked along the boardwalk and had so much fun. I preferred to go the Columbus Flee Market, which we did years later, a few years ago when I visited him in New Jersey.

At that time, he had planned to have both me and a German couple staying at his home. I had been a little interested in taking a German class once I entered high school. That summer before freshman year, I learned German, and a little about the culture, which has stayed with me even today. I love German and I believe a lot of my love came from Grandpop’s introducing me to the culture and language I wish to pursue into college.

Today, as I go throughout my day about 500 miles away from my grandfather’s home, I still feel close to him as he struggles. I believe he has so much more of a life to live. If it doesn’t end up being his own, it will be through me and my other siblings.

Thank You Grandpop for the life you have breathed into me.