Dear Veteran | Teen Ink

Dear Veteran

May 2, 2019
By y-han33 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
y-han33 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
6 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear veteran,

 I am  writing to you because you deserve it. The idea of being in combat goes through many peoples heads, for many different reasons. Weather they follow through with it or backout, it still takes much courage to do so. I am not sure what position you served as or why you choose to do so, but every positions takes strength, the kinda strength that never goes away,the kind that stays by your side till the end. The kind that you have. War also takes time, and dedication. Which can sometimes be hard to give up, but I thank you for doing so, for leaving everything for the soul purpose of keeping America safe!  


I do not know too much about the military. I only know of one family member serving. My grandpa’s, sister's husband I believe had served time in the Vietnam war. I never had much time to really dig into his stories about war, but I knew it had to have been hard. I thank you, every day for being able to forget everything and enlist. To commit and leave everything. The incredible amount of strength that, that takes is immeasurable. You are a hero.


I am a junior, nearing the end of the year, and eventually in a few months going to walk into senior year. Senior year means im going to have to start and lay out my life and get myself ready for the “real world.” Enlisting into combat never entered my mind because I never really had a connection to it, as well as I don't believe I am stronger enough to do so. But I know one thing so far, I want a career in helping others. The thought of being a social worker has crossed my mind over and over. These kids have no one but the social workers to help them, and that's why I want to be there. IN thinking of going down this path, it has made be think of you, that the country has no others but the security and assurance of the soldiers that choose to sign in it all away and fight in america's favor. So thank you, for being and showing the world that you are a hero. You deserve happiness and love and nothing less.