Letter to Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to Veteran

By JaredL SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
JaredL SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Veteran,

In my lifetime, I haven’t faced a lot of adversity or struggle. I haven’t had to sacrifice a lot. Hearing about what you and your fellow veterans went through shocks me. The sacrifice you made is immeasurable. The things you went through shows me your strength and honor and It inspires me to have the same honor in everything that I do. I want to thank you for your service. You have the respect of me and everyone around the world.

My name is Jared and I am a senior in high school. I plan on attending college next year. I couldn’t imagine what it would be like to be sent overseas at my age, but you can. You have been through some of the toughest and hardest situations anyone can face, and that is something that needs to be honored. Be proud. You represent the best of this country. I would like to say sorry for the way that you were welcomed home. It must have been hard to come home and face scrutiny like that. You should have been honored and celebrated, and I hope that your welcome home today gives you that. You deserve it!

My Grandpa was a Military Police in Turkey for some time and has shared with me some of his stories. They’re amazing to listen to and eye opening. The time he spent there and it shaped him and changed his life. I know that whatever you have been through has changed your life. I and the rest of this country are so proud and thankful that you have made it through. We see your strength and perseverance.

Again, thank you for your service. You are strong and brave. You were sent into battles and came through. You came back to an unfriendly country and you came through. You have faced adversities and came through. You represent the strongest and best of this country. Keep moving on and stay strong. Be proud of everything you have accomplished.

Thank You for your service and welcome home!

This is a letter I sent in to Honor Flight to go to a veteran.