Letter to a Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to a Veteran

January 7, 2019
By sarahm16 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
sarahm16 SILVER, Hartland, Wisconsin
9 articles 0 photos 0 comments

I recently had watched the Honor Flight movie and I was moved by it. Seeing the faces of the people that never thought they could get this opportunity was amazing. There were tears, smiles, and laughs. It was definitely an emotional roller coaster. In my opinion, I feel that people do not realize how much you went through and the impact that you made for us. The movie helped me realize this more and to get a glimpse as to what you felt during the war and what you gave up to fight for a country you love. How you risked your life so that I could drive to school and feel safe, to take a walk outside, and to have freedom, it’s hard to wrap my brain around it.

My name is Sarah and I am a junior in high school. To think that you were drafted around the same age as I am now is amazing. I could not even imagine going off and doing what you did. When I think about it, it seems scary and unpredictable as to what could happen to you. The impact it makes on your family and how they must have felt to see you go. I applaud you for having the strength to do so.

I hope all the veterans will be as lucky as you some day. To go and travel to see the memorials of your fellow soldiers. To see the names of the people that did not make it home and how they don’t have the opportunity to do what you get to do. I am so happy that you got the chance to go on a once in a lifetime opportunity. It must have meant so much to you and it’s an experience you will never forget. I can’t imagine your reactions, emotions, and feelings.

I want to end this letter by saying welcome home and thank you for the sacrifice you made. Also, how much you are appreciated and loved and to never forget that.


The author's comments:

I wrote this letter to a veteran going on an upcoming Honor Flight.