Thank You, Veteran | Teen Ink

Thank You, Veteran

January 7, 2019
By egbierman GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
egbierman GOLD, Sussex, Wisconsin
10 articles 2 photos 0 comments

Favorite Quote:
Long, romantic walks to the fridge.


Dear Wisconsin Veteran,


Welcome home and thank you for your sacrifice! Although I do not know you personally, I would love to thank you for your service and commitment to our country by writing to you. You are a true American Hero, and I am so lucky to live in a world that has been saved time and time again by you and many others.


The earliest thing I can remember about Veterans is the simple but powerful red poppy flower. The key word being “remembrance” that makes you the soldier you are today, the bravery and courage it must have took you to get up every morning to go and fight a battle so that your loved ones could continue to be free and do what they want to do. Your sacrifice gave me the opportunity to do what I want to do, and for that I am proud to be a junior who wants nothing more than to tell stories, whether that being a writer or telling a tale on a stage.


You inspire me to be a better person and I am happy to tell you that I can be brave too, I did something that gave me the opportunity to help others. Recently I gave blood and respectfully asked that it be donated to those who are serving our country. The woman who helped me donate my blood said that it could be arranged and said that I was a very kind soul for wanting that for someone.


Even though I don’t find myself going into a military background I promise that I will continue to do my service to you by donating my time to make this country the best it can be and will urge my community, future kids and grandkids to find a way to serve their country in any way possible.


Sincerely,


Emily 


The author's comments:

I wrote this letter to a veteran who will be going to an upcoming Honor Flight.