Letter to a Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to a Veteran

By eke123 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin
eke123 SILVER, Sussex, Wisconsin

Dear Veteran,

Every day, after the first bell rings, everyone in my school stands, faces the flag, and recites the Pledge of Allegiance. It’s a routine to the point where most students stand with their hands on their heart, without thinking about what they are saying. Even though we sometimes forget to honor the ones who stood behind the flag no matter what, I am here to say that I am grateful for the sacrifice you made for our country.

My name is Emily, and I’m a senior in high school. As I watched the Honor Flight movie, I realized the impact veterans like you have had. All this year I have been applying to colleges. I am planning to go to college next year to study Biology and Child Development. It awes me that at the same time in your life, rather than preparing to leave for college, you prepared to leave to fight for the United States. I thank you for the bravery that it must have taken to make this sacrifice to our country. Thank you so much for your loyalty to America.

Now, as you are coming home from your day witnessing the impact that you have had through the memorials in Washington DC, I want to be the one to say welcome home. I hope that those who receive you in the airport give an enthusiastic, loving, and warm welcome home. There is no way for me to show you how much I appreciate you. When we say thank you for your service, know that it means more than just those simple words. You paused your life at home to put your blood, sweat, and tears into protecting our country. I can’t thank you for your sacrifice to this country enough. Every day, when I honor the flag, I will remember you and all the veterans who have protected our flag. Thank you for your service, and welcome home.

Sincerely,

Emily