Letter to a Veteran | Teen Ink

Letter to a Veteran

January 7, 2019
By RABBITorHABIT GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
RABBITorHABIT GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
10 articles 0 photos 0 comments

Dear Vietnam Veteran,


I’m not sure I can express in a simple letter how thankful I am for your service and sacrifice but I’ll try. It is such an honor to even be writing to you. Your dedication to your country and your tremendous sacrifice makes you a hero in my eyes, always.


My name is Connor and I’m a junior in high school. I decided to write to you after watching a video about the Honor Flight in class and being reminded of my grandfather, who also served in the Vietnam war. People like you and him who give up so much to serve their country inspire me greatly. I can’t even begin to fathom how it must have felt to leave the country, at right around my current age, and come to an unknown land. You had to sacrifice your time with friends, family, school, and numerous other things to go to war.


The sacrifices you’ve made have shaped our country and inspired not just me, but thousands, millions, of people. We are all so grateful for your service and I hope your trip to DC had the same effect it had on me when I went to DC two years ago to see the Vietnam memorial: immense thankfulness.


Thank you and welcome home,

Connor 


The author's comments:

I wrote this letter to a veteran going on an upcoming Honor Flight.