Mail Call for Veterans of War | Teen Ink

Mail Call for Veterans of War

By TheGoodandTheBad GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin
TheGoodandTheBad GOLD, Hartland, Wisconsin

Dear Wisconsin Veteran,

Your Honor Flight day is here! I am so grateful that you are jetting off into the wide open sky to Washington D.C. to visit your Vietnam War Memorial today. This flight and trip celebrates your contribution to this great country with pride. I watched the Jonathan Lucroy honor flight movie in my high school class. The movie made me understand how proud all our service men and women are to be veterans of war. I have now just turned 18 recently. My heart is full of gratitude that many veterans like you began to serve at such a young age. My near future plans are to attend a 4 year college. I can’t begin to imagine if I had to now leave my family and go to war in some other country. I can not even begin to know what veterans had to endure while serving their country. I hope I can learn more about what you endured serving our country. This Honor Flight today will show you a debt of gratitude that has been owed to you for so long. I say welcome home veteran.

I had a great grand-uncle who served as a Marine in WWII. After the Pearl Harbor attack, he decided to go into the United States Marine Corp and fought back against the Japanese. He fought in the Pacific. My great grand-uncle died on the Guam Islands in WWII at the young age of 23.  He sacrificed his life. I have seen a picture of my great grand-uncle. The picture was in a letter from Theodore Franklin Roosevelt stating that he has died in the Guam Islands. The letter was thanking his family for his service and sacrifice. I wish to thank you for your service and sacrifice.

You are truly a hero. Veterans equal heros for so many reasons. Veterans are selfless, sacrifice, show patriotism, believe in honor, respectful, loyal, courageous, dedicated, have integrity, and great leaders. I am thankful for your service to this country.

Sincerely,

Eric