Educator story | Teen Ink

Educator story

.Imagine being able to have one of your favorite teachers for 5 straight years!  I am one of the lucky ones who is currently experiencing this with someone who has inspired me to work hard every day.  Mr. Bechtel is this special teacher who I have had since 7th grade at Stone Bank Elementary School. He is more than a teacher, he is a mentor who has helped me get into college.

Mr. Bechtel is outgoing, inspiring and hard working. When I found out he was coming to Arrowhead my freshman year, I was happy and excited. He was my case manager at South Campus too and he helped me with the ups and downs of freshman and sophomore year.  As I moved to North Campus, Mr. Bechtel transferred too and was my case manager during my junior and senior years. 

It’s nice to have a teacher  determined to help kids get their homework in.  He  takes time out of his day, no matter what he has to do, in order to help kids out. This helps take the stress out of our day by helping us with homework and projects. Mr. Bechtel is not only there for me at school, but he has supported me in my extra curricular activities too.  He has come to my track meets and cross country meets.  I appreciate this because he took the time out of his day to come see me race.

Back in 7th grade, Mr. Bechtel was my basketball coach.  We were not the best team, but we had fun.  Mr. Bechtel taught us to be respectful and work hard.  Overall, Mr. Bechtel has made a difference in my life.  He is like a second father who has looked out for me every step of the way.  It has been his guidance that has helped me be successful in school, always making sure that I stayed on the right path. School is difficult for me in the areas of math and English because it takes me longer to read and write. Mr. Bechtel supports me when I’m reading and writing. This is why I would like to nominate him for Teacher of the Year. It would be cool to see if he would follow me to college, but I don't think that will happen.